Action on finding a woodworm hole.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I planed up a piece of pine this afternoon and so revealed a little woodworm hole. I don't particularly want to burn this masterful example of getting a piece of wood flat on all six surfaces, so what to do to make sure that the little pipper shrugs off the mortal coil? Will it do to give a quick squirt of fly spray down the hole, what with woodworms being larval insects and all?

Dovetaildave":mqw5piow said:
If the woods small emough......Stick it in the freezer :twisted:
I've heard the microwave is a better killer - not sure if it affects the wood in any way.

I have an aerosol can of borer killer, with a tube you stick into the opening of the wormhole. It's amazing how far the wormholes go. It's the main part of my anti-borer procedure when I find a hole in a new acquisition.

Cheers, Vann.

I have also found the aerosol effective on wooden planes - I tried the microwave treatment on a couple of moulding plane wedges and managed to burn them from the inside! Doh!!

Cheerio,

Carl

Andy Kev.":395pwpzk said:
I planed up a piece of pine this afternoon and so revealed a little woodworm hole. I don't particularly want to burn this masterful example of getting a piece of wood flat on all six surfaces, so what to do to make sure that the little pipper shrugs off the mortal coil? Will it do to give a quick squirt of fly spray down the hole, what with woodworms being larval insects and all?

I would consider a tiny piece of cheese on a tiny worm trap. I hear that peanut butter is even better bait. :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you had woodworm like these in some 3 1/4 inch fruit blanks you could always poke down the hole with a six inch nail to see if it is still in there :)

P1020173.JPG

Attachments

• P1020173.JPG
    P1020173.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,251
Thanks for the replies and especially to Vann. I didn't know they did aerosols for it so I'll nip off to the shop to see if I can get one tomorrow.

Woodfarmer: what is the species of beetle that does that??!!?? Or is there some sort of wood eathing python that I haven't heard of?

Andy Kev.":mfa0valc said:
Thanks for the replies and especially to Vann. I didn't know they did aerosols for it so I'll nip off to the shop to see if I can get one tomorrow.

Woodfarmer: what is the species of beetle that does that??!!?? Or is there some sort of wood eathing python that I haven't heard of?

Here in France they are known as capricorns. don't know the English word for them. As you can see they leave holes the same size as some marine borers

I did try to plug the hole with a worm made from a bit of willow :0

P1020185.JPG

P1020186.JPG

P1020187.JPG

Attachments

• P1020185.JPG
    P1020185.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • P1020186.JPG
    P1020186.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,209
  • P1020187.JPG
    P1020187.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,209
Forget the aerosol. Just place the wood in a dry environment and it will (most likely) be perfectly fine.

I bought some timber, a while ago and actually witnessed the flight from this size hole of several big flying insects.
I must admit , it did make my hair stand a bit, being so unexpected.
Regards Rodders

I maybe wrong, but isn't this nearly the time of year that they go forth and multiply?

Last year I used ziploc bags/clingfilm, popped into the freezer, no new flight holes appeared in the moulding planes in question, during Feb through May.

Most of these moulding planes have stayed in their respective bags since, will be interested to see if any went into deep hibernation and fly out this year.

Regards,
Dave

Once you've killed anything lurking in the wood, I think it's a good idea to fill the hole.
On new work, a suitable hard filler is usually the answer.
On old wooden planes I use sticks of coloured wax which I melt into the holes with a tiny screwdriver heated in a lighter flame.

The point of doing this is that if a new hole appears, I will know that it must be new and that I have a problem to deal with.

The flight of the common furniture beetle is late March / April. If the wood and your workshop environment is dry they will fly off to better pastures. Better is damp conditions, which is why you commonly see infestations in damp cellars and under leaky baths.
I've bought a number of pieces of timber where the tracks or holes have become apparent after working it. I don't burn the timber but simply throw it to one side in the workshop. The rest of my woodstock is probably worth over 3 or 4 thousand pounds - vetry expensive Spruce, figured Maple, Rosewood. I'm not in the slightest bit worried. In over 30 years I've never seen them attack truly dry wood.

bamboo":29hubkr9 said:
If there is saw dust coming from the holes it means there are still alive in the wood. No saw dust means there dead or left the wood for some where else

I would not rely on this!

I went to the local "serious" tool shop yesterday and then to the DIY supermarket. The former doesn't stock anti-woodworm material any more due to lack of demand and the latter had some stuff in a tin but the instructions said specifically that it was to be applied as a coating and not injected into holes. So I've decided to give it a blast of Ballistol down the hole. There are two reasons for this: firstly the tin has one of those thin plastic tubes for getting the fluid into confined spaces and secondly I find Ballistol to be pretty obnoxious stuff in that every time I use it, it catches in the back of my throat and has me coughing like it's going out of style. So I reckon if it has that effect on me, a little insect larva (if it's still in the hole) is going to find it pretty offensive too.

Back