New backsaw in progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Having spent 3 to 4 months focused on making traditional hand planes, its a nice change to be working on a new backsaw build.

Here's a photo showing the assembled view of the new backsaw. Still a bit of work to do to finish it off.

The handle wood is Tasmanian Blackwood, and the saw plate length is 12 inches.

I have added a stepped profile along the top line of the brass hardback.

The handle shape is based on an early English design.

Stewie;

Very nice.

I've been thinking about making a saw myself off and on. I've gone so far as researching where to get some 1095 spring steel sheet from.

Can you give some detail on how you will cut the teeth? A file and patience? Also, did you fold the brass back or slot cut it and glue?

Very nice, is the stepped back taken from an old saw? I have never seen one like that in the wild.

Looks good and to your usual high standard. Cross cut? TPI?

I really like the handle shape. Will you be rounding the handle profile or do you prefer the harder line to the finger side of the handle?
Was there a particular purpose you had in mind for the stepped brass back, or was it that it looks good, which is often a very good reason?
In regard to cutting teeth by hand, I have just recut my favourite Matheison D/T to 18TPI, as I had made a cock of re-sharpening and needed to start over. Probably 18TPI is a bit fine, but I was using the hacksaw blade method as a guide, and couldn't find a 16TPI blade in any of the usual places. I am pleased with the result however.

Sorry - lots of questions.
Best wishes
Mike

Biliphuster":29g34d9s said:
Very nice, is the stepped back taken from an old saw? I have never seen one like that in the wild.

Creating a visual break along the top line of a straight back hand saw was common attribute found on early saw makers work.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/7page.html

An opportunity arose to see if that same philosophy could then be used along the top line of a backsaw spine. (without the nib)

regards Stewie;

Glad it's not just me. I guess it can't be traditional because traditionally the back would be folded and would come apart if you cut away the fold like that.

I like the handle though.

Stewie
It's just an opinion, don't be offended.
Lovely saw and if you decided to add that feature then so be it.
What would be the point of making something that is the same as you can go and buy in the store?

Lovely saw.

Gracious, I didn't think I was being that harsh.

I meant only to agree that I don't find the step in the back an improvement, I prefer the unbroken parallel lines. My comment about it not being traditional were a response to an earlier post commenting that they'd not seen that feature on an old saw of this type.

Rereading what I wrote, I see that my comment could be taken as a criticism of how you made the back perhaps, which was not my intention. Plenty of contemporary makers do it that way. And my comment on the handle was genuine, and not meant as a snide comment on the rest of the saw, sorry if that is how I came across.

Tony.

Hi Tony. Its seems the right time to get this thread back on track.

Latest update:

The top line of the brass hardback has a new profile that now only extends 1 inch back from the front toe.

To make this happen, I shortened the length of the saw plate from 12 to 10 inches.

The saw teeth have been hand filed 14 tpi .

Tomorrow I will take photo's of the completed backsaw.

regards Stewie;

Well I liked the look of it as it was. Which goes to prove you can please some of the people some of the time . . . . . . . . . . .

The finish on the handle looks a little dull at the moment. The shellac still needs another week to fully harden before I can hand buff it to a higher sheen.

Stewie;

Well Stewie,
I for one prefer the first photo with the longer step in the back!! Overall a beautiful saw but one improvement needed, there appears to be no makers mark!! Are you planning on stamping the brass or a medallion on the underside of the handle or just leaving it plain?

Back