Starter jaws for chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a SN2 and RP200 chucks. SN2 is very well made and has a large selection of jaws available but they are not cheap.
The RP200 is a cracking little chuck. The jaw sets are pretty cheap and allow you to have several options for the same price as one set for the SN2. I would think the RP2000 could handle an 8" bowl blank so may be all that you need.

Marcros,
I don't know what sort of lathe you have, but looking at Ax & rutlands I would say that the Axm are POSSIBLY slightly better quality,
however, without the experience of owning Dakota chuck it's difficult to say. I own and use 2 Axm chucks and a Multistar with complete sets for both.
Of course that's over 24 years buying woodturning accessories.
Looking on line at them both I would say the Precision Scroll Chuck Kit - V5 from Rutlands seems to be a very good bet.
It comes with 5 sets of jaws, will fit 1" x 8tpi includes an insert of 3/4" x 16 tpi, Rave reviews and at £139.95 with 5% off bringing it to £132.95 appears to the best bargain.
Again, HOWEVER! I don't know how many different jaw sizes they do for this particular chuck.
But as you say, there is no hurry to buy one, it may be better to wait until you can attend a woodturning show and check out what is on offer.
(Often at shows they have special 'show prices')
John. B

the axi one has sold out for now. I will have a look at the v5 though.

The bench is about built so hopefully over christmas I can get the lathe onto it and set up

Thanks. I did see both actually so am going to check the size tonight and see which has the better deal in the morning.

well, the plot thickens, and not for the better.

I have measured the thread that is on the adaptor (the original thread is 3/4 BSP I think or something obscure). I thought that it is definitely 1 1/2" in diameter and to the best of my ability, I think that it is 8 TPI. That means, I expect, that a cheap chuck is out of the question.

The only other clue that I have is that the insert was made or supplied for a supernova chuck. it looks pretty much identical to http://www.peterchild.co.uk/osc/product ... cts_id=356 could it be 38mm x 3mm, ie the thread that the supernova screws into?

it doesnt, but i have found that the insert I have is a tecnatool one which was supplied blank. so at least i know that it will fit the supernova. The lathe is an arundle, which are a bit obscure at best. but it seems solid and well made, for my purposes at least.

so I think it is going to be http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse. ... 79/level/4

a bit more than i wanted to spend, but if i change lathe, i should be able to just get a new insert and keep the chuck.

Latest posts

Back