Table saw choices.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry for starting another table saw thread.

I'm looking for my first table saw, have been scouring the net and had a search here but not found the info I need.
I've changed my mind on which saw is right for me more times than I care to imagine. I've now narrowed it down to the two below;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ts-250m-table-saw
I'd probably get the table extension at a later date with this one.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-bts10st-table-saw

Firstly I'd like to keep the cost under £350,
Does anyone have experience with these saws, i'm being drawn to the latter as it folds down(space is at a premium in my shed) but if the TS-250 is a superior machine then that'd seal it.
It's main use would be small lengths of hardwood, maybe some small cabinet work. The blade angle adjustment will be the most used feature.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks Ghengis, Had looked at the 200 as well just thought the 250 looked a little beefier and the slightly deeper cut depth was appealing.
When you say you upgraded the fence, is that an after market part or a home made job?

I have the 250 as my first table saw. Seems to do the job. Problems I have are that it is very stiff to adjust the blade and the mitre slots aren't exactly parallel to the fence which isn't a problem for me as I don't use them.

The sliding table is excellent and a must have. I didn't buy the extension table initially and immediately regreted it, I have it now and the table feels complete.

The SIP one, at 3hp, may struggle on a 13 amp fuse at start up, especially if the cable run to workshop is not up to it.

When you say struggle, do you mean it will take longer to get going?
The cable to the shed is a decent lump of armoured cable(don't know the ratings but sure it's up to it) then from the she'd consumer unit it's 2.5mm twin and earth.

Depending on the voltage drop along the cable, it may blow a plug fuse or two on startup due the the peak inrush power surge.
Being a direct drive rather than belt it may not be an issue, I just flagged it so that if it happens you know why. I changed my 13 Amp on a 3hp belt driven saw to a european 16Amp plug and socket and its grand.

I also 100% concur with what Roger wrote below, my first bench saw was a contractors saw and the accuracy was just not there.
My next one is as Roger describes.

The SIP seems to be different type of saw altogether. It's a contractor's saw with a pressed steel galvanised table - not cast iron like the Axminsters. I've not used the SIP but the contractor saws I have used are were not as accurate, quiet and generally not as nice to use as proper table saws.

I'm almost certainly about to buy an Axminster TS-2xx saw. Currently favouring the 250M

It's worth noting two things:

1. There's a new version of each of the TS-200 and TS-250M. They're called the TS-200-2 and TS-250M-2. As far as I can tell the main difference is the fence – looks rather similar to the bandsaw fence upgrade that most people make on these saws.

2. The TS200 is currently on offer and is dropping in price every day.

Unfortunately I can't post links to either as my post count is too low right now...
I hope that's useful info.

The 'deal' that they have with current ts200 is interesting because it is actually more expensive than it was a week or so ago. It used to be 240 with the extension table and long fence, which is normally 80.

Bodgers":17sq9q0l said:
The 'deal' that they have with current ts200 is interesting because it is actually more expensive than it was a week or so ago. It used to be 240 with the extension table and long fence, which is normally 80.

It's currently £216.34 total for the Saw (£170.15) and the Extension Table (£46.19).

Seems good, no?

It doesn't because when you click the buy option it doesn't get listed underneath the table saw. When I bought mine with the extension table offer a week or so ago it was listed immediately after hitting the buy option. The details description also doesn't list it, whereas it did when I bought mine.

It is down to 167 now, so it is now fractionally cheaper if you are buying table extension.

Dammit, just tried to buy the TS-250M, was told its been discontinued and none are in stock anywhere, they then suggested the TS-250M-2 which is far too expensive and has gone up £50 since xmas. Oh well, the search continues.

Go into a Machinemart and have a look for yourself. I dont think there is any comparison with a TS200.

In my experience Clarke tools are cheap but you get what you pay for but at £179 imho it looks expensive compared with the TS200

Latest posts

Back