Tykes of welding - help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that tip, although it will have to stay in the factory unfortunately - is it worth just recoiling the wire in not going to be in use for a few days?

Mark-numbers":q4018i4c said:
Thank you for that tip, although it will have to stay in the factory unfortunately - is it worth just recoiling the wire in not going to be in use for a few days?

Try one of these in the wire cabinet, they seem to work fine inside mine. Cheap as chips, change them every couple of months (or when I remember) :oops:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=damp+ ... nxYt8AM%3D

Avoid "pub" gas, for all sorts of reasons, including poor welds - leave it to farmers welding gates, etc!

Argoshield is wonderful (get a decent regulator that lets you see pressure and flow rates). You can do stainless with MIG + pure argon shielding, but it's not easy (the chromium migrates out of the weld if you're not careful, leaving a weld that _isn't_ stainless!).

If at all possible, keep the wire warm and dry (yup, I bring mine into the house, too). A cupboard with a small greenhouse-style heater (one of these) ought to be enough*. As long as the air is slightly drier than the surroundings, it shouldn't corrode.

Don't neglect the mains supply. I have a small semi-industrial SIP (not quite DIY, but not quite pro either). The weld quality improved enormously when I fitted it with a 16A plug. Welders take high surge currents when the arc is struck, and if there's a significant drop in voltage at that point, it makes life frustrating as the welds can look (and be) poor quality. Voltage drop comes mainly from thin cable between the welder and the incoming mains supply, both its lead (flex) AND the permanent wiring in the premises. I doubt Miller kit will come with a cheap flex, but don't skimp on the supply you're putting in, for that reason.

Many people would give an arm for Miller kit - but then again it would be that much harder to weld afterwards!

E.

* I tried wiring two of these in series, to halve the power consumption (I have one under my tool storage as my garage/workshop gets very damp in the autumn). It didn't work as there simply wasn't enough heat, but if you're only storing wire in a smaller space, it might.

I think it would help you make the right decision if you went to evening class or to a skilled person with a sample of what you want to weld and had a go at both. To me mig is good for some structural stuff slightly rough. Stick welding the same but even rougher. Tig gives better finish and can work very well with very thin sections once you have the skill.

IE welding stainless steel
You will always see the ripples using stick or mig
tig can look as if the item had been cast as one piece. (good enough for jewelry).

The good advice keeps coming, much appreciated.

I went to place an order for the miller, but isn't available from my supplier until the new year - in my eagerness I went to machine mart cough cough and bought everything from there - so I have gone down in quality and power. I bought a very simple 165amp Clarke mig welder (cough cough again)

It seems to do the trick - luckily for us the client loves it the rougher the better!

I have bought a load of metal and a metal chopsaw so will be getting my hands dirty next weekend and getting familiar with it all!

Nowt wrong with the little Clark welders - the prototype and probably first 10 of the veterinary operating tables I build were made with a Clarke 150 amp mig and disposable gas cartridges....

With a machine that uses relatively little gas like yours look for "Hobbyweld" gas bottles. Full size bottles like I have to use on my current 3 phase 400 amp Hobart welder are overkill for you and tend in my experience to end up costing far more than the price quoted.....

Keep your metalworking area completely separate from any woodworking you do. I cannot in my workshop and it is a right pain covering everything up to keep grinding dust off woodworking machines and customers boats....

Boatfixer":3aefgx14 said:
Keep your metalworking area completely separate from any woodworking you do. I cannot in my workshop and it is a right pain covering everything up to keep grinding dust off woodworking machines and customers boats....

.......... to say nothing of the fire hazard.

Hi,

I am about to do something I never would have expected a while back and suggest people look again at BOC.

For years I had an Argoshield (argon co2 mix for MIG) bottle on rental and after not using it for a year took it back to stop paying the exorbitant charges. I am now at a point where I am thinking of getting a CAA approval to do welding on my aircraft project. I have bought a decent TIG welder and had been shopping around for pure Argon.

I tried BOC, Hobbyweld and also Air Liquide's Albi options and decided that the latter best suited my needs. BOC were the most expensive, Hobbyweld reasonable but small bottles and AL's big cylinder at about £200 one time charge and £40 refill seemed good as you got more gas for the same money as Hobbyweld.

However, just before buying that I got a call from a very helpful lady at BOC who explained that they'd like to be more competitive for small users and we agreed what I think is a good deal on the Y size cylinders (the short but fat one). I pay £4.50/month rental which is about half their previous rate for my old smaller cylinder, and £12.00 for a refill. Also they dropped the much hated handling charge. The prices are capped with only a small increase over three years.

I think that for someone using a number of fills per year it's a good deal.

So, do give BOC a try as they seem to have responded to the competition at last.

Regards,

Colin

The best advice is really to find your welder first. Get the wrong gear and you might find your paying too much on consumables or getting a less than satisfactory finish.

I wonder what your view would be on a skilled blacksmith setting up a woodwork shop with no experience? :)

Thanks for all the advice - the area is pretty much set up now and have already done our first jobs, which the clients loves.

We are lucky that space is available as it is (7000sq ft) and can keep the welding area completely separate.

If a skilled blacksmith set up a joinery shop, then fair play to him, however I have set it up because the bits and pieces I have made out, are very very simple, and cost more in fuel and wages to fetch them than it costs me. Its there for convenience rather than a money making exercise.

Back