Green belt land and planning permission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been successful at getting planning permission on green belt land.
If so, how?

I think farmers can build a dwelling on green belt for themselves if one is not available. It's certainly the case in our village.

John

I looked into this a few years ago and you can write to the council and get a letter of intent. Which basically will give you an idea of what the council will think.

I wrote to the council and it took them 6 months to write back and say i had no hope of obtaining planning. Your best option is probably to go for a brownfield site.

I find it frustrating that people want to build a house for themselves and can't yet when i fly over the UK all you can see is green field after green field. I'm not saying concrete the lot, but I can't help that people building their own houses on small plots is hardly going to devastate the countryside

Worth googling for Planning Consultants in your area and having a chat with a couple in the first instance.

Probably a slim to no chance of getting permission but context is everything, including the Local Development Plan areas designated for future development, adjacent development/precedents etc.

They will be able to tell you if it is a non-starter or may be a possibility, but in the latter case press them to give you an indication of probability of success and likely budget, keeping in mind that if you do ask them to take on the work involved then they will get paid whether ultimately successful or not !

Cheers, Paul

John15":k2xa3mof said:
I think farmers can build a dwelling on green belt for themselves if one is not available. It's certainly the case in our village.

John
I think you'll find that the house ownership and occupation will be tied to a working farm. (At least it used to be but as Wiz said it probably depends more on the bribe.)

It just depends on, if your face fits or not, or if you know somebody that knows somebody, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

My face did not fit, I did not know anybody and my pockets were not deep enough. :evil: ](*,)

Best of luck, you most certainly need it.

Chris R.

DiscoStu":244grz3g said:
I find it frustrating that people want to build a house for themselves and can't yet when i fly over the UK all you can see is green field after green field. I'm not saying concrete the lot, but I can't help that people building their own houses on small plots is hardly going to devastate the countryside

I recall John Prescott saying that the UK was not overdeveloped because 92% of it was not yet built on. Neglecting that those rolling fields are where the food comes from.

The personal circumstances of an applicant are not (supposed) to be a planning consideration. Either a site is suitable for development, or it is not. How would you let people build their own houses on small plots without letting the developers get in ? Large fields can be split into small plots. Would you have to legislate on how long the builder of a house would be required to live there, so as to prevent serial building of their next "own house" ? How about a scheme where the builder does some kind of fiddle where you technically buy the land as a separate deal direct from the previous owner, then the builder builds your own house on your own land for you ?

Surely a simple answer would be that only the individual that built the house could live in it for 5 years or something like that. I have a lot of farmers in my family so I am very aware of land being used for farming. But guess what people need place to live as well. I'd just like to see planning a little more relaxed. Some of my family have a farm and want to convert some run down barns I to holiday cottages - no chance of getting permission, yet the council are happy to have run down barns? How would converting them cause any damage to the environment?

DiscoStu":36wj29ov said:
.... but I can't help that people building their own houses on small plots is hardly going to devastate the countryside

Not sure I agree with that. Especially as there are all those brownfield sites available according to the article I referenced.

I'm buying some greenfield land, I think I like the idea of being able to shout "ger orf my laund", :lol: it's a nice size, I'll ask more once I have it. No point on speculating about it until it's a deffo.

There was a programme on TV a little while back concerning a tenant Farmer who lost his farm when a developer was given permission to build a housing estate on it. Naturally the Farmer was upset but he did say it was prime farmland.
Building on "greenfield" sites may be bad in many folks eyes but building on prime farmland currently in use should be illegal IMO.

Well having looked seriously for land to build a family home on, I can happily say that there isn't loads of land (especially brownfield) and what there is gets snapped up by developers. Not sure what the figures are but we are constantly being told that there isn't enough homes for people.
I also remember reading. About a guy who had bought a plot and had gone quite a long way down the planning process when he was asked to donate to a local school development. He was advised that a £8000 donation would be welcome. He wrote to a self build magazine for advice, there advice was to pay it if he wanted planning permission!

He didn't have children.

DiscoStu":1t1xof08 said:
Well having looked seriously for land to build a family home on, I can happily say that there isn't loads of land (especially brownfield) and what there is gets snapped up by developers. Not sure what the figures are but we are constantly being told that there isn't enough homes for people.
I also remember reading. About a guy who had bought a plot and had gone quite a long way down the planning process when he was asked to donate to a local school development. He was advised that a £8000 donation would be welcome. He wrote to a self build magazine for advice, there advice was to pay it if he wanted planning permission!

He didn't have children.

That payment is called a section 106 payment and is not voluntary, having just got planning permission to build a house in our large garden we have got to pay the council £12000 before we can start work.

Back