Metric Grub Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niagra

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone know where I can get hold of some M4 x 0.75mm thread pitch grub screws? They all seem to be 0.7mm TP.

Thanks,
Dario

M4 is 0.7mm pitch so I doubt that you can. Will they not force fit?

Dunno, I haven't ordered any as assumed not. The screws I have are from Germany, I wonder if 0.75mm pitch is more standard there?

I guess I could always make my own?

Is it possible (from the age of the application) that it could be an imperial thread?

4mm is almost exactly 5/32"
5/32 whitworth pitch is 32 tpi or 0.79mm

All depends on the accuracy of your measurements. If you have a sample grubscrew, check the fit of English and metric allen keys.

I checked with the seller when I bought the screws, he said they were 0.75mm pitch. I've tapped the holes to 0.75 and the screws fit perfectly.

I could just cut down the screws and make the grub screws like that or just do my own. As I got them from Germany I can only assume they are M4 and not 5/32 WW.

I'll get by in the end! Thanks for the responses, great to know I'll always get helpful advice.

woodpig":1xf9c2th said:
These folks will sell you a M4 x .75 Tap

That's bizarre, I wonder why anyone would make such a thing when the standard pitch is 0.7mm

pcb1962":3q9d3x94 said:
woodpig":3q9d3x94 said:

That's bizarre, I wonder why anyone would make such a thing when the standard pitch is 0.7mm

My set of taps and dies have two pitches for each diameter - a coarse and a fine. Coincidently, they are German made (as the screws I've been using are also) which makes me wonder if the standard in Germany is 0.75?

pcb1962":2y8o6pdv said:
woodpig":2y8o6pdv said:

There are manufacturers that use propriety threads so you can't interchange with a competitors product or to keep you returning to buy their parts.

Pete

According to my Machinery's Screw Thread handbook 13th ed.
The French series of metric threads align with the ISO metric series above 6mm however diameters between 0.3 and 5mm can be different.
One of the original French threads is 4mm x 0.75

Furthermore the thread angle can be either 50 or 60 degrees!

Now why does this not surprise me about the French??

MM

Depending on what the application is could you not use Helicoil or similar thread inserts and change the thread to M4x.7

Repair kits containing drill, tap & inserting tool and some inserts (depending on the length you need) cost £20 or less. All you need to do is drill out the old threads 4.1/4.2 diameter. :idea:

Back