Small Scraper Plane Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Just completed, this little scraper plane is made of bright mild steel, brass and padauk. The blade is 1 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, made of O1 steel and its angle is 110 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_2348C.jpg
    IMG_2348C.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 1,590
  • IMG_2346C.jpg
    IMG_2346C.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1,590
  • IMG_2343C.jpg
    IMG_2343C.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 1,588
  • IMG_2340C.jpg
    IMG_2340C.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,586
  • IMG_2339C.jpg
    IMG_2339C.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,588
Beautiful. I really like your house style on these- quite unlike any others I have seen.

Although they look unconventional, especially while the wood is such a vivid colour, I'm sure they must be really practical and comfortable to hold. Please bring as many examples of your work along to the MAC Timbers event on the 30th as you can, as well as the Roman plane, as I'd really like to hold these and feel how they work. I'm sure I'm not alone in this!

I like that, I would also like to play with it.

Pete

Well they look lovely! I'd be interested to see how the ergonomics work, but I'm guessing pretty good from the look of them. Nice work.

Brilliant. As Marcros says, there is a distinct house style coming out of the rxh shop. An excellent idea to do a scraper plane as they are far less common but hugely useful. I notice the old Stanleys hold strong prices.
This Mac day is becoming intimidating. Don't bother unless you have at least one stunning show'n'tell plane.
I'll just loiter in the car park, maybe sneak under the fence for a chat with TnT :)

Wow Richard.
Looking really good mate. Thanks for sharing I enjoy your posts.

I'd ask to see a shot of all you creations in one shot (planes)
Now that would be beautiful..
And if I could use it as my college project front cover.

It's due Monday...
Email me if you can

TT

To all: thanks for your kind comments.

Andy: yes I plan to bring some planes to Mac on 30th Nov. - I might even bring the lead filled Frankenplane :)

Rod: the post is connected to the sole by what would be called a through mortice and tenon joint in woodwork (there may be a metalworking term for such a connection but I don't know it). The "glue" is solder, which avoids risk of distortion because the temperature is low and no hammering is involved.

Beautiful =D>

Gentlemen and ladies, we are in the presence of some very talented people.

Back