Carvers Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
So here's the mallet I mentioned in the burning lines thread, no finish on it since I am going to be smacking things with it.

Any advice / critique is welcomed. It's the first piece I've turned in months (after a long holiday) and something like me 12th turning ever.

Thanks!

bgG2CgW.jpg

Very nice. Unusual shape. I've turned a few mallets here and there allways a fun project. Why no finish? Dosnt matter if your going to hit with it. A Danish oil finish or any finish will help protect the wood for sessional change and splitting. Also will improve it's apprance, a few wipes with linseed oil will do it the world of good. All wood should be given a drink, carpentry mallets and plane work better when not thirsty...

Adds wright and love the smell..

TT

Not sure Toby, I've read somewhere people don't finish them. Plus I wanted to put it to use right away. I'll throw a coat or two on it over the weekend.

I was going for kind of a concave curve in the centre, didn't really pull it off. Like I said I'm still somewhat new.

The wood is black cabbage bark, I picked some up at a timber yard and it seemed to be decent for a mallet (heavy, dense wood).

Honestly the thing looks more like a truncheon to me.

if you put a finish on a mallet depending on the finish and colour of the wood,the mallet could mark the wood your hitting,then you have more work re-finishing the piece,oh and before anyone says it,its not only chisels/gauges that are hit with a mallet,another thing,if a mallet has a finish on it its more likely to skid off what your hitting where a bare rough sanded one isn`t

The wood (chaperno is it's posh name) is hard as nails so should be OK. Only advice I would give is perhaps have the head a little wider? The narrower it is then the more chance of slipping off what you are hitting? Just a thought. Otherwise a good, practical turning.

pete

So far I haven't had any trouble using it, it's a decent size I think but honestly it's the first one I've used so I can't really say if it does the job well or not...but...it works!

Latest posts

Back