Headphones for ipad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
can anyone recommend headphones for an ipad air, fed up of these in ear things that are way to big for my ears, not too expensive if possible, thanks..

Take your Ipad along to curry/pcworld and try out the ones on display. In my local store they are set up so that you can put them on and play from your own device, one day I will get around to doing it for myself.

john

Ok they're not really cheap but I've got a pair of bose ae2, they are the most comfortable and best sounding headphones I've owned, if you do a lot of headphone listening you want these... Downside they are around £140 I picked mine up in the states where they are quite a bit cheaper

Last ones I bought about 3 months ago, both to replace my armchair web browsing set and a foldaway set for use with a tablet, I ended up with some Sennheiser models.

Purchase based on realistic price, comfort and sound which appears to be reasonable for something with the limited performance of web based source.

John Lewis also will provide a listening experience, not as up front as PCW but a request to sample a blister packed item usually results in a sample being produced for comparison.

Seinhinser (or however you spell it) ear buds are great. Very soft and comfortable in the ear and they cut out a lot of background noise. I use them when flying and you can lean your head against things without it pushing the bud down your ear. They also cut out noise even when no music is playing. Sound quality is excellent.

Sennheisser PX100 are a nice lightweight on-ear folding set, or PX200 if you want inline controls. Bose noise cancelling is outstanding though - and Christmas is coming... :D

Couple of quick thoughts:

Headphones for mobile devices are a right pain to design, because they're driven by very low voltages.

This means the cable has to be very low resistance, and for practical purposes quite flexible too. And that in turn means it's expensive and hard to terminate (where it joins to the plugs and the earphones themselves). See the Wikipedia entry on "Litz wire" to see how it used to be done. That stuff CANNOT be soldered in my experience (and boy, have I tried in the past!).

Most headphones break mechanically, either at the back of the jack plug or where the cable joins the headphones themselves. Realistically, they can't then be repaired.

For longer headphone life, avoid right-angled plugs. The straight-through ones that let the plug come out when yanked are best. Better still are the designs with a socket on the headphones too - that gives you two chances before the cable itself breaks.

You can also get short plug-to-socket adaptors (about 10cm long). These are great, because a yank on the cable is always a straight pull on the plug, which it is supposed to cope with. They also save the socket in the device, which can be a very expensive repair if they're broken.

I usually catch up a bight of cable in the cover for my tablet, so that the plug doesn't get tugged immediately if I'm clumsy. It's not ideal, but it helps, partly because the plug isn't being directly pulled, and partly because the cable isn't tugged in exactly the same place every time.

Also avoid forcing those cables round sharp bends, especially coming out of the back of the plug.

I hate designed-to-break products, but we're mostly stuck with them nowadays.

And no, using a short adaptor cable shouldn't have any noticable effect on the sound quality, unless the connectors are actually not working properly or are really, really poor quality.

HTH,

E.

If you can dig a bit deeper into pockets Bluetooth enabled headphones / earbuds are available.

One advantage of these in the workshop is that you have no cable to get tangled up.

I recently bought a pair of Philips SHB4000 from PC World. They, of course, have been superceded by a newer model SHB7000 at £39.99.

Get a reasonable pair and they can offer a little hearing protection as well... not as good as ear defenders obviously.

My Goodness 3M do the Peltor series of ear defenders some of which are Bluetooth enabled.

Eric The Viking":19gnuq01 said:
Most headphones break mechanically, either at the back of the jack plug or where the cable joins the headphones themselves. Realistically, they can't then be repaired.

always a straight pull on the plug, which it is supposed to cope with. They also save the socket in the device, which can be a very expensive repair if they're broken.

E.

The Bose ones plug in to the headphones so if the cable gets damaged it can easily be replaced

Or if you don't have the budget for the Bose headphones, I took a gamble on some from 7dayshop. Was pleasantly surprised with the quality of them for around £30.
Bluetooth enabled, very easy to connect. They do feel a little plasticky but for the price the sound quality is Pretty good.

Try some Bluetooth headphones the freedom from wires is fantastic - from £15 , we have two pairs of Hensons ,
bothe the more expensive and the cheaper ones it really is worth a try , oh and both come with a wired connection if
the battery runs flat (lasts for hours)

Back