Creating a dark finish on ply wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I need a dark wood for a backer to a scroll saw project. i have used Birch ply for the image, the cut out is a silhouette. I have made it A4 in size and am now struggling to find a dark wood to finish it off. Is there a way to finish off ply wood to get a dark finish?

Sorry I am still new to wood work and this would be a great help to know the good ways to treat plywood.

Thanks.

Paint is the most obvious solution. But you could simply dye the wood, although you need to be aware that there is a tendency for the dyed surface of plywood to show blotchiness. The importance of the blotched effect, if evident, depends to a great extent upon what you find acceptable, and there are techniques to either lessen or eliminate this blotching tendency. With you admitting to being a novice I'm not going to overload you at this stage with technical information about advanced wood finishing techniques, e.g., eliminating blotching. Slainte.

How does a veneer work? Does it come in a sheet you glue on? If so any advice on a good online supplier and what glue to use?
If I wanted to use a dye again any advice on what kind to use? I have only used vanished and old so far and I don't think either would give me a good look.

Stooby":2e9zw1wn said:
How does a veneer work? Does it come in a sheet you glue on? If so any advice on a good online supplier and what glue to use?
Veneer comes in sheets, and for decorative uses it's generally 0.6 mm thick. Capital Crispin is one supplier, but you really need to phone them and specify what you need. They're primarily set up for the trade. I can't help with online suppliers because I've never used one, and don't even know if they exist, and if they do how good they are. As to glue, that's a minefield because there are so many different types suitable for veneering, but each one requires rather different skills and equipment. Probably the easiest is PVA and a press, which can be hydraulic, a vacuum press or bag, or even simply cauls (if needed) over a piece of man made board the size of the panel under which you lay a sheet of plastic over the veneer all sucked down tight with a bunch of clamps.

Edit. I should really have made you aware of the fact that veneering flat panels usually, but not always, means attaching veneer to both sides, either at the same time or in two separate pressings. And generally the grain direction of one side matches the other side; generally, but not always. The reason for this is to keep the panel in balance to prevent warp of one sort or another. Veneering just one side creates an imbalance. The same applies to wood finishes: generally, you apply the same amount of finish to both sides, again to keep the panel in balance. There are many exceptions to this general guidance, but it's useful to know about the 'rule'.

Stooby":2e9zw1wn said:
If I wanted to use a dye again any advice on what kind to use? I have only used vanished and old so far and I don't think either would give me a good look.
You can buy a decent range of dyes from even places like B&Q. They're aimed at the DIY market and the products they sell do an adequate job for those with limited skills. Alternatively, have a look at Chestnut products for wood finishes: http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk/ They might have what you need and I understand the people there are helpful, which would be useful for a novice, or relative novice, which I suspect is where you are. I've never used their products myself, nor had any business dealings with Chestnut, but I'm aware that many users of this forum think well of them. Slainte.

Back