Newbie: Am I doing something wrong?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't offer him or me any explanation just "Don't use that." It would have been much more helpful as you're the experienced turner to say "Use this instead."
The guy asking for help has been struggling for years as he had said previously. He's using a Sorby Carbide Scrapper and only that no other Gouges/Skews/Parting Tools.
Probably on the advice of an "experienced" turner with no other explanation other than "Its for making bowls."

Sorry I really don't mean to sound rude CHJ but it is true.

I have mental conditions that stop me from attending clubs and gatherings and generally meeting new people in person so forums like this are really my only way of directly asking people for help.

Thank you for the links you have shared and again sorry if I come across as being rude.

Rlewisrlou66":3brvg5z3 said:
You didn't offer him or me any explanation just "Don't use that." It would have been much more helpful as you're the experienced turner to say "Use this instead."
The guy asking for help has been struggling for years as he had said previously. He's using a Sorby Carbide Scrapper and only that no other Gouges/Skews/Parting Tools.
Probably on the advice of an "experienced" turner with no other explanation other than "Its for making bowls."

Sorry I really don't mean to sound rude CHJ but it is true.

I have mental conditions that stop me from attending clubs and gatherings and generally meeting new people in person so forums like this are really my only way of directly asking people for help.

Thank you for the links you have shared and again sorry if I come across as being rude.

Being snarky and rude and generally hard work isn't the best way to get help and assistance, just saying.....

paulm":3i2y0myb said:
Being snarky and rude and generally hard work isn't the best way to get help and assistance, just saying.....

and this is the reason for needing to be snarky and rude.
People with nothing to offer in the way of helping the original poster, Just saying.....

Rlewisrlou66":1iet2xyd said:
paulm":1iet2xyd said:

and this is the reason for needing to be snarky and rude.
People with nothing to offer in the way of helping the original poster, Just saying.....

:roll:

Paulm,

You can roll your eyes till the cows come home but instead of rolling your eyes how about you share you vast knowledge with us new to turning?
You've been on this site since 2005 so you must know a thing or two.

If you have something to add then add it so people who come here for help don't give up because they are asking for help and are told to go away till they have read a specific book or joined a specific club.
I tried to help and got it wrong I admit that but CHJ told me I got it wrong and others reiterated what he had already said, no-one till prompted would give up the right tool.

As I have previously said I'm new to turning myself and would welcome some constructive advice and not rolled eyes like I get from my 8 year old daughter when I tell her to clean her toys away.

Pete, Sorry for high jacking your "Help" thread,

Rlewisrlou66":2zxh7buc said:
Paulm,

You can roll your eyes till the cows come home but instead of rolling your eyes how about you share you vast knowledge with us new to turning?
You've been on this site since 2005 so you must know a thing or two.

If you have something to add then add it so people who come here for help don't give up because they are asking for help and are told to go away till they have read a specific book or joined a specific club.
I tried to help and got it wrong I admit that but CHJ told me I got it wrong and others reiterated what he had already said, no-one till prompted would give up the right tool.

As I have previously said I'm new to turning myself and would welcome some constructive advice and not rolled eyes like I get from my 8 year old daughter when I tell her to clean her toys away.

Pete, Sorry for high jacking your "Help" thread,

:roll:

A spindle roughing gouge after being used on a bowl blank.

DSC059272028Medium29.jpg

john

Been there, wore the bandage. I didn't take any photos of my roughing gouge when I snapped it and sent the metal flute winging past my head into the garage wall.
My fault entirely, although I still stand by my belief that the cheapo tools I was using were poorly manufactured.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to stop anyone from purchasing a potentially life changing injury on-line (in the shape of a power tool) and using it with insufficient knowledge.

I'm one of the lucky ones.

Gent's, thank you all so much for your very valued comments, I'm taking everything on board.

If I'm honest with you I never knew there was a difference between a bowl gouge and a roughing gouge so I could in fact be an accident waiting to happen.....I did a little turning at school and then nothing until my wife bought me the lathe some thirty odd years later......I suppose you could say I've jumped in two footed, rather clumsily in hindsight, reading only the bits I wanted to read, and in all probability missing the more obvious, a man trait I'm sure and one I could do without. I do however take safety seriously and wear my work issue safety glasses at all times. I certainly didn't think accidents like the one highlighted in JPT's image happened.....It looks as if I've a longer learning curve to cover than I first thought, though saying that I knew it wouldn't be easy.....In the three day's I've been a member of this forum I have received valuable information and seen loads of stuff which I never knew could be made on a lathe, so just for that it's been a very worthwhile experience. Hopefully in the coming weeks and months I will learn more from you very kind people and that I'll make some sort of progress as well as some good objects. Thank you all again for all your help. Very much appreciated. Pete

Start turning some small stuff, like pens or pendants & the like or even just scrap wood to practise on with the only aim of getting used to your tools & the lathe. Don't rush into it.
Get used to your tools and presenting them the right way and then move onto bigger things when you're comfortable.
I did a little bit of turning at school some 40 yrs ago too and didn't pick up another turning tool in anger until a couple of yrs ago where my wife also bought me a lathe for Christmas.
There aren't any clubs near me so I learnt off t'internet & books, joined a forum like this one where constructive criticism was taken on board in the manner it was meant and instruction & knowledge was feely given.
Yes, you'll come across those anally retentive individuals who think their way is the only way and take their bat & ball home if you don't agree with them, these people you totally dis-regard, you'll soon get to know those who are knowledgeable by the encouragement they give and who to take note of.
Keep your tools sharp and go slow to begin with but most importantly, enjoy your hobby.

Indeed, we're a friendly bunch by and large, and it's a great hobby, just ask away with any questions and there's bound to be someone who can help :)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks again. I can't tell you how pleased and encouraged I am by all your responses....so I have more questions......sorry....In addition I have some idea as to which tool I have does, however I'd like to be sure of these things so if I managed to post a photo of those I have got could somebody kindly tell me the correct useage?

Mr Mannanan":p0yos1b5 said:
Thanks again. I can't tell you how pleased and encouraged I am by all your responses....so I have more questions......sorry....In addition I have some idea as to which tool I have does, however I'd like to be sure of these things so if I managed to post a photo of those I have got could somebody kindly tell me the correct useage?

Just out of interest as you may have seen in some forums the little quote that keeps popping up and that is.

"The only silly question is the one you don.t ask" What may appear silly to the seasoned turner who has been doing it for years is a sensible question when you are starting out. In other word just keep asking if you don't know.

Photos are needed to narrow things down. Otherwise it's like the old question on a car problem. It starts ok in the morning but won't go more than a couple of feet. Answer - open the garage door! :D

Can't really see too well in the photo to be sure what they all are, some more pictures of the business ends would help, but the third down from top is a broad parting tool for spindle work, cleaning up the ends of a spindle, sizing tenons and similar, and rolling beads too.

Next one down is a bowl gouge, for shaping the outside of bowls and hollowing out the insides. Notice the strong shaft that will take the loads exerted without risk of bending or snapping. Might benefit from a more versatile shaped grind on the end.

The bottom one doesn't look quite chunky enough to be a roughing gouge so I suspect it is a continental style spindle gouge for shaping and smoothing of spindles.

Hope that's of some help, although maybe triggers some follow on questions :)

If you can take some closer pics of the rest should be able to say more, likely to be skews, scrapers or bedans and the like but hard to be sure with my dodgy eyesight !

Cheers, Paul

Pete, try placing a sheet of white paper under the business ends when photographing.

The Bowl Gouge looks to be a on the bigger size for diameter, not a problem as far as risk and strength but may be causing you some extra problems by size of cut and loads being taken, you may find a smaller 3/8" or 1/2" version easier to use. (Bowl gouge diameters are usually specified by flute characteristics in UK and bar stock diameter in USA) See this link for explanation

Also have a browse around that Toolpost site for more details of tool cutting edge shapes and a guide to there uses denoted by name.

Think Pauls naming of the continental style spindle gouge is correct, a very useful tool, think of it as a nervous mans skew chisel for spindle sizing, sharpen with simple 45deg ( or thereabouts) bevel.

PaulM and CHJ, thank you so much for your quick replies, and info, I really appreciate it. I'll try and take some better images.

Back