UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try speaking to a technical guy at Axminster - part of their job description is to help solve customers' problems.

John

Claymore":1dyq4m00 said:
Thanks! been experimenting bit more today and its running pretty smooth but the top blade guide is taking some setting as the lefthand bearing doesn't want to move close enough to the blade grrrr will persist and thanks for the video link (they make it look easy lol still cannot work out why the Carter Stabilizers are so expensive and work so well? on my old Clarkes 12" bandsaw it only had a round guide with a slot in the middle but wandered all over the place so how can a Carter one work?)
Cheers
Brian
Ps surprised no'one in UK has made their own version of the Carter Stabilizer as it looks a simple bit of kit for £200+

Keep going, you will get there in the end. I spent many hours on the tuning side and found that it usually takes me about 20 mins to set a different blade now. The best way I have found is to back well off all guides and bearings and concentrate on getting the blade to run with the blade teeth in the centre of the top wheel. By hand turning the wheel and then running the motor several times. Once that is stable and not drifting off line, then move the thrust bearing in to almost touch and likewise the guides, but then running to make sure that nothing touches when the blade is run.

In the USA, the stabilizer is only about $79, but was quoted similar for shipping and there is the import duty and tax to pay. I think someone may make a similar guide here, but talking to engineering firms, the tooling would be very costly with the variety of bandsaws and they think the demand would not warrant it.

Back