Pulleys and taper locks, any help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
I got an old AEG motor that I need a pulley for, the diameter of the shaft is about 28.3mm, such a metric shaft size does not exist I was told by the local company I bought a pulley & with a 28mm taper lock from (it did not fit) this is supposedly 1" 7/64ths in imperial. Anyone know if I can find such a taper lock bushing? Or is this something non-standard, it is a very old engine, perhaps 1960s.

DennisCA":14p8hbgt said:
I got an old AEG motor that I need a pulley for, the diameter of the shaft is about 28.3mm, such a metric shaft size does not exist I was told by the local company I bought a pulley & with a 28mm taper lock from (it did not fit) this is supposedly 1" 7/64ths in imperial. Anyone know if I can find such a taper lock bushing? Or is this something non-standard, it is a very old engine, perhaps 1960s.

I reckon that you should look at a 1 1/8 inch bush. This will be 0.015 inches larger than your 1 7/64 shaft. You could shim the difference with a shaft repair sleeve.

28 mm = 1.1023622"

28.3 mm = 1.1141732"

1 1/8" = 1.125

1 7/64" = 1.109375

HTH

I've also considered taking sandpaper to the current bushing, or to the motor shaft to get rid of those .3mm in either direction

wizard":2zp8otxw said:
Machine a pulley to fit

+1

If it's an inexpensive motor, you could try the sandpaper. If the shaft isn't heat treated it'll probably work.

Back