An Onionmental Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Clearing up the workshop so I could at least get through the door the other week and I came upon another bag of lawn bowling balls I had quite forgotten about.

One of the benefits of having a super untidy workshop is you find things again and it's like Christmas every time you clear up!

Also some air dried holly and willow in the corner which had been drying for over six years now so was ready for use.

So...given that you have a suitably guarded ball and stick....

Copy%20of%2020140916_100449.jpg

...the best thing would be to put it back or make some use out of it....so how about another mallet ALFIE!?

Copy%20of%2020140916_100407.jpg

So...ignoring ALFIE's protestations of using them to throw around the garden...we went off with a rather sulky ALFIE to fire up old "TAYLOR" again.

Copy%20of%2020140916_114911.jpg

For those of you who may not have met "Taylor" yet...he's a rather old and cranky Taylor of Hulme lathe given to me by my neighbour who bought a new Clarke one (yes...I thought that too!! :shock: ) and it was in a dire shape.

It was an old metal lathe that had gone past its "accurate use" state and so was turned into a rather Heath Robinson wood turning lathe with the application of a few bits of wood and an elastic band! :mrgreen:

I don't really do much wood turning so it does me for little things and also don't expect the sort of turning mastery you are familiar with from our fellow members of the spinning forum brigade...you'll be very disappointed!

So...once the bit of holly/willow was rough rounded using an ancient gouge I trued and turned one end to fit the ball....

Copy%20of%2020140916_120722.jpg

....using a flat chisel.

I find it best to ease down on the cut and keep checking because it's surprising how quickly you go from "wouldn't fit if you sat an elephant on it" to..."flops around all over the place"! :mrgreen:

The ball was placed in a vise and a hole drilled through with a long Forstner bit...but no photos were taken of that because I do have a certain level of pride! (don't ask just don't ask! :mrgreen: )

Anyway..take it from me both the shaft and the hole in the ball were made (eventually!).....

Copy%20of%2020140916_131310.jpg

and married together in perfect harmony....

Copy%20of%2020140916_140816.jpg

Everyone knows what flying chips look like so I'll skip that stage...plus it's almost impossible to hold a camera and a chisel at the same time....so I had to wait until Annie got back for the rest of the action shots!

Copy%20of%2020140916_182503.jpg

Now the observant will notice we seemed to have acquired another piece of wood in the collar...I thought I would stick an offcut of bubinga in there which Douglas gave me to add contrast... all three bits now being firmly glued together using epoxy....

Copy%20of%2020140916_185706.jpg

I wanted to concentrate on the head first to get the shape and once that was done...finish the handle.

The head was cut flat at the base so it didn't wobble around on the bench like a Weeble...

Copy%20of%2020140919_152643.jpg

I also took the head down through the grits again...Abranet 120 to 400 and then MicroMesh 1500M to 12000M and near gloss...

Copy%20of%2020140919_152718.jpg

At this point I wanted to try out some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Sand and Sealer and Filler which was recommended to me when I was working on the infill. It apparently sets a good base coat for polishing and fills in any cracks and crevices so worth a go.

Copy%20of%2020140919_152704.jpg

...it seemed to enhance the finish and certainly dries quickly enough.

I wanted to achieve a kind of take on the old Victorian designs with the handle but make it a bit chunkier so I could actually use it rather than stick it in a cabinet....so the handle was turned next...

Copy%20of%2020140919_152654.jpg

...and the sealer applied over the whole mallet.

Once this was dry and hardened overnight...I took the finish back to 1500M and then up to 12000 again....and we were done.

Copy%20of%2020140919_174502-1.jpg

I was thinking that I should really make a stand for it..or even a box! (NO! not a box!) and just left it on the side and this weekend went in search of Georgian furniture with my daughter.

I'm rather glad I did...because I found this little box in an antique shop near Maidstone for £15.....

Copy%20of%2020140920_134015.jpg

It's a rather posh wine box with fantastic finish and hinges.....but more to the point...

Copy%20of%2020140920_134036.jpg

How weird is that!!! Made for it is not the word! It's perfect!

I just have to add a little insert to hold the fat end and voila!!

So...more ONIONMENTAL than ornamental but fun none the less! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Very nice Jimi

I have to admire you patience going through all the grits, I can't stand sanding.

Pete

Racers":2n715ham said:
Very nice Jimi

I have to admire you patience going through all the grits, I can't stand sanding.

Pete

I don't actually use abrasives for shaping much but I do prefer the finish that Micromesh gives. If it's good enough for optical lenses then it's good enough for wood!

Unfortunately if you miss a step...you might as well not bother...so once committed...

Jimi

Quality work Jimi (only to be expected)

not sure why you wear an elephants trunk whilst sanding :eek:
you have inspired me to give this a go
I am still considering handle material but I like the contrast light to dark

Steve

bugbear wrote:

Do you also make maracas? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear

....no...but I did think of making some juggling clubs....

But I didn't know any clowns I could give them to....

Until now! :roll:

:lol: Touche

SteveF":9jbj8ltu said:
Quality work Jimi (only to be expected)

not sure why you wear an elephants trunk whilst sanding :eek:
you have inspired me to give this a go
I am still considering handle material but I like the contrast light to dark

Steve

Thanks Steve...just take the LV very gently and sharp tools of course.

The elephants trunk is usually only used when I am turning African blackwood or Indian rosewood and associated tusks! :oops:

I'll get me coat!! :mrgreen:

Jimi

That's not an onion, it's a toffee apple!
And a very tasty one too.

AndyT":12ika6ug said:
That's not an onion, it's a toffee apple!
And a very tasty one too.

Now you've done it Prof...we'll have the jolly swagman on in a moment suggesting only pommies would think of that shape!!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers mate!

Jimi

Stunning finish beautifully showcasing the wood. I really like the Holly handle too, almost looks like bone or similar with that shape & finish, and the box was a steal at £15!

SteveF":35qx0j1d said:
did u wedge it Jimi ?
or just the epoxy

Steve

Just epoxy but this stuff:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191128935938&alt=web

It's meant for oily woods such as teak...cedars and lignum vitae.

Other epoxies don't bond very well because of the oils.

Also I flare the final shaft bit back along it's length using a V chisel in rings...a bit like a plasterboard fastener so that when I finally push the head home it doesn't want to come off anyway.

Others I have wedged....like this one I made for Mark Turner a while back...

DSC_0492.JPG

Let me know if you want any help.

Jimi

Really well finished project, skill always overcomes obstacles, I Can't come near that even with my super duper lathe :(

Back