Just curious

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razornut

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's one for all you turning masters. What would you say is the most difficult, form/shape or thingie magig that you have turned successfully. I know it a subjective question. But I'm just curious

live life to the fullest. You only get one. at least in most cultures. :-S

Most turners say that the hardest part of turning is to make two or more identical pieces.

A large burl hollow form with openings in the side must be near the top of the list.

I make a fair number of goblets that are usable. Hardest thing I find is making the 2nd of a pair of wedding goblets. Not my forte making duplicates. Fortunately if the 2nd doesn't come out right it can still be sold as a OOAK so nothing wasted, just a bit irritating.

Pete

I would concur with the last. The two things that get me at the moment is precise copying, though judicious use of calipers and verniers is helping with that. Also hollow forms...I'm basically useless at hollowing round rims thus far and haven't spent a lot of time getting to grips with what I'm doing wrong. I'm still not exactly brilliant at rolling beads with a skew either. The sides are easy, its getting the flatness of the top I cant quite master. Often have to just finish off the flat spot with a scrape of the skew instead of a proper point cut. So if I don't do that (cheating) scrape right at the end my beads are great down the sides but just slightly pointed in the middle. More practice I guess!

Random Orbital Bob":30hir8v4 said:
I would concur with the last. The two things that get me at the moment is precise copying, though judicious use of calipers and verniers is helping with that. Also hollow forms...I'm basically useless at hollowing round rims thus far and haven't spent a lot of time getting to grips with what I'm doing wrong. I'm still not exactly brilliant at rolling beads with a skew either. The sides are easy, its getting the flatness of the top I cant quite master. Often have to just finish off the flat spot with a scrape of the skew instead of a proper point cut. So if I don't do that (cheating) scrape right at the end my beads are great down the sides but just slightly pointed in the middle. More practice I guess!

Why do you think it is cheating? I learnt to turn ** years ago using only scrapers and whilst I don't use scrapers as such I often use both spindle gouges and skews to scrape at times. Nowt wrong with that. How you get a good result is not the point, as long as it is safe and the finish is good. That's what counts.

Pete

It's always been the turning multiple identical items that sorts the men from the boys.

I've just finished a dozen fancy brass knobs - I actually made 16 before I had the 12 I wanted :( :oops:

RogerP":2cpersxg said:
It's always been the turning multiple identical items that sorts the men from the boys.

I've just finished a dozen fancy brass knobs - I actually made 16 before I had the 12 I wanted :( :oops:

Feel sorry for me: I have a standing order for 200 tapestry bobbins. Have to do them in batches of 10 at a time as I lose concentration and make a stoopid mistake.

Pete

I am in the same mind as most people on this one DUPLICATION. Ask me for a Candlestick and I can turn you a belter!
Ask me for a Pair :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:oops: Vic :oops:

Yep agreed, I recently made a set of table skittles for someone, there were at least as many rejects as good ones

Back