Is there a painters "bible"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm doing a lot of painting wood, interior and exterior, is there a good single place reference on how to, technology, theory, practice etc?

I wish there was too.

I have always thought about if it would be possible to start a listing of various products, with ratings, how they work, what best used for, etc etc, almost like the listings in the back of WhatCar magazine.

It's very easy to go out and spend a lot of money on products, but if prep isn't right, or one bit is missed, you'll be redoing x years more quickly than you need to.

Hopefully a finishing guru will be along soon.

thanks Flynnwood

I'd already ordered the Zinsser booklet (and forgotten about it :oops: ) Eventually I discovered a couple of text books on Amazon too. Still waiting for these to all turn up. I tend to find these things never have the particular info I want, but I stand (sitting down) to be corrected.

the_g_ster, There are a few decorators sites and forums, but I'm just getting used to them and currently not sure how much info is there and where to find it. I feel a bit awkward joining and asking what may be "damn fool" questions :(

I've been doing a lot more painting over the last few years, mostly making up/learning as I go, and with plenty of googling! I've found www.traditionalpainter.com to be a pretty good resource, especially for info on water-based finishes.

HTH Pete

The problem is that paint formulations are evolving all the time and paint brushes etc too.
Some primers, under coats don't work with other finishes, even from the same manufacturer - it's a bit of a minefield?

Rod

I have bought "Painting and Decorating" by Roy Hughes, this is practically worthless, and "Painting and Decorating: An Information Manual" by A Fulcher, which is good on background technical information on products, but contains practically no information on how to do thing. So far there don't seem many things on how to actually use a brush etc. Although paint technology etc has changed, the use of brush, spray gun etc hasn't so much.

In general the art of writing books for trades seems to have died out by the sixties. Almost everything produced lately is completely useless. Is this a reflection on the decline and dying out of real trades people?

Back