My Axminster AW106PT2 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Two weeks after ordering, Axminster deliver this piece of fecal matter. The driver, Allan, arrived about 5.30pm on Monday, so first things first I brewed up and we had tea and cake and a little natter.
Allan then unloads the huge crate off the wagon and straight in to the shed for unpacking, you can imagine how excited I am at this point. After removing the crate I put the moveable base in place
so we can lift/maneuver the machine on to it's final resting place. Sadly, the base I'd made was to small. I'd called Axminster last week for the base dimensions and made it accordingly. No
problem I thought, I'll make another one. I didn't want to start playing around with it on Monday night and I knew I was going to be busy all day Tuesday, so I planned to spend the whole of Wednesday
sorting the base out and bonding with the little beauty.
Wednesday morning I'm in the shed with a supply of tea and biscuits ["Oaties" from Aldi, love 'em I do :D], and set about sorting the new base out. After this is in place I then gently maneuver the machine on to the base.
After removing the pallet I set about cleaning and setting the machine up, and fitting the digital display, which probably took as long do as everything else.
At this point I wasn't very happy with some of the cosmetics. There are two plastic strips that the hinges rest against after pulling the tables up. Neither of them are very secure and didn't look as though
they would remain in place for too long. Whether this is down to them being stuck on before the paint has dried, or the adhesive, I couldn't say. But after checking the one on the left I then notice
the state of the casting slightly above and to the right of it. This is when the hinge supporting the out feed table rests. The wall of the casting is very thin and as you'll see in the image it's very jagged,
and if it wasn't for the coat of paint, it would feel a bit sharper than it already does.
Moving on. I set the fence and check the tables, the in feed table is all out of sorts but nothing that can't be adjusted. I check everything again making sure what should be bolted down is, and nothing is loose
or in the way. I get a piece of 3" x 2" pine all ready to try the planer out, and then I plug the machine in. Now you can image just how excited I'm getting and I hit the green button, and, nothing, it's knackered.
Eight hundred quids worth of c&*p! I call Axminster and a lad in technical reckons it's the capacitor and pops a replacement in the post. Now cutting all the emails short, I'm offered a credit of £30.00 should I wish to keep the machine,
which I don't, for £800.00 I want something that not only works when it's delivered but has been made with a bit of care and attention. I now have to wait until the 29th before they
will collect/replace. Even if I want a refund I'd have to wait until it's been collected, which I can appreciate, but if I had the funds I would have ordered one of the Record models from D&M this afternoon.
Everything I've bought from Axminster that hasn't been their own brand has been spot on [other than the Ice Bear sharpening kit I bought last month which went back. I've got butter in the fridge
harder than the 800 grit stone that came supplied, another story!] but this is the third item with their branding that has been pants. Anyway, rant over I'm going for a brew :D Hopefully all will be well come the 29th!

Pete

Oh dear, sorry to hear that your experience has been so negative. especially as I was leaning towards an AW106 myself, but after your experience...

So which Record Power model will you be going for, PT107?

Terry.

I am sorry to hear of your disapointment. I have had the exact same machine from Axminster for over two years. I have nothing but praise for it.
It works well and accurately is easy to set up and adjust and has never given any trouble. granted the quality and finish are far short of my fathers dominion machines but it is still looking good on heavy hobby use.
It sounds like you got a Friday afternoon model. :cry:

I'd think strongly about a used Scheppach HMS260 or an even better buy would be a JET

Wizard9999":29hq9vvx said:
Pete

Oh dear, sorry to hear that your experience has been so negative. especially as I was leaning towards an AW106 myself, but after your experience...

So which Record Power model will you be going for, PT107?

Terry.

Hello Terry. My initial choice was between the AW106 and the Record PT260/CX2000 package. I'd read a few comments confirming a problem with "Snipe" on the PT260, and with so many lads on here being happy with the AW106, that's what swung it. I did look at the Record PT107, but that extra £300.00 was out of reach.

wizard":29hq9vvx said:
I think you are expecting too much for £800.00 it’s hard to get a good second hand machine for that price.

We'll have to disagree on that Wizard. The Record BS350S bandsaw delivered last week was in showroom condition.
PS: Please don't think the below is in reply to you :D

Whilst Axminster have said they are unable to check every machine, surely a little quality control during manufacture is called for. And how hard can it be for someone to place a plug in a socket and push the on button to just it actually works before it's crated up. The paint work I can cope with, no doubt it will receive a few knocks during its life, especially as I don't have a lot of space to work around things. I could even cope with fitting a new capacitor, I reckon that would be easier than fitting the digital display. I chose to have a replacement due to the casting which the hinge supporting the out feed table sits in, the wall is quite thin and my concern that in time this may weaken and not be able to support the weight of the table once it's swung in to the upwards position. Perhaps I could be wrong. What's really narked me about Axminster is their lack of urgency in delivering a replacement, and the nonsense regarding the lack of trust in using independent couriers to deliver. For me, they need to have some quality control in place before they use excuses and criticism of others. I've read much regarding their excellent customer service, and no doubt their customer service department must be kept very busy due to the amount of faulty goods they sell. But good customer service doesn't come from supplying what you should have done in the first place, for me, it's going out the way to deliver what has already been paid for at the earliest convenience to the customer, and not in a couple of weeks when the van is next in the area. Just a thought!

Jamesc":xrb2wphv said:
I am sorry to hear of your disapointment. I have had the exact same machine from Axminster for over two years. I have nothing but praise for it.
It works well and accurately is easy to set up and adjust and has never given any trouble. granted the quality and finish are far short of my fathers dominion machines but it is still looking good on heavy hobby use.
It sounds like you got a Friday afternoon model. :cry:

Thanks James. I'm sure it'll be sorted, just need to have a little more patience. The lad I've been emailing has said he will personally check it before it leaves.

Sorry to hear your trouble with the AW106 - I can imagine your disappointment . I've had one for about 18 months and so far it's OK. I hope Axi soon sort it out for you.

John

I have to say that the service I got last week from Axminster was exemplary. My new coolant system failed(poor pump). I rang them Wednesday and a new one was delivered to me in France on Friday. Superb. (Service that i, even the second pump wasn't much good :( )

This has been a world of difference from zero service from Fox re the crapomatic bandsaw.

Selwyn":v40vxc3g said:
I'd think strongly about a used Scheppach HMS260 or an even better buy would be a JET

Not sure I'd have the funds for a used one Selwyn, not that I know how much they go for used, but after googling the model I found one link for how much they sold when new.

John15":v40vxc3g said:
Sorry to hear your trouble with the AW106 - I can imagine your disappointment . I've had one for about 18 months and so far it's OK. I hope Axi soon sort it out for you.

John

Appreciated John, and I'm sure mine will be a fine machine once I get my hands on it :D

woodfarmer":v40vxc3g said:
I have to say that the service I got last week from Axminster was exemplary. My new coolant system failed(poor pump). I rang them Wednesday and a new one was delivered to me in France on Friday. Superb. (Service that i, even the second pump wasn't much good :( )

This has been a world of difference from zero service from Fox re the crapomatic bandsaw.

Hello Woodfarmer. I agree, Axminster are very good at popping things in the post on the same day, and I think most small items I've ordered on line have been delivered the day after. But I credit the Post Office or courier for speedy delivery. Sorry to hear your replacement wasn't up to standard, I suppose that's a part that would be difficult to check before posting. Hopefully they'll send you another one!

Hello Woodfarmer. I agree, Axminster are very good at popping things in the post on the same day, and I think most small items I've ordered on line have been delivered the day after. But I credit the Post Office or courier for speedy delivery. Sorry to hear your replacement wasn't up to standard, I suppose that's a part that would be difficult to check before posting. Hopefully they'll send you another one![/quote]

No. both to be returned, think it will be easier to make my own. the critical job has now been done by hand using wire wool and diesel :)

it wasn't just a pump but complete coolant system for a machine tool. I thought it would be a quick and simple way to solve a problem.. one of ,,, sorry two of these Order Code: 600567

woodfarmer":1dnq1g8z said:
No. both to be returned, think it will be easier to make my own. the critical job has now been done by hand using wire wool and diesel :)

it wasn't just a pump but complete coolant system for a machine tool. I thought it would be a quick and simple way to solve a problem.. one of ,,, sorry two of these Order Code: 600567

Perhaps you could write a review on their site saying what was wrong with the 2 that you had. Would be interesting to see whether they publish it.

Just a little update. The lad I've been dealing with in customer service emailed a couple of days back saying that he had checked all their current stock, and the finish is pretty much the same on all the machines. So if I'm disappointed with the one I have, I would be with any replacements. Axminster offered a full refund, which they added to my account with themselves yesterday. The reason being I decided to put the planer/thicknesser on hold for now until I have the funds for either the Jet or the Record, so I went over to Warrington this morning and picked up the Festool Domino DF500. A bit of a difference I know, but for now I'll probably have more use for this than the planer/thicknesser.
Whilst I was at the Warrington Branch I had a look at the AW106 they had on display, and the casting on that looked a little ropier than the one I received, although that one probably worked when you switched it on! :D I sincerely hope my experience doesn't put anyone else off if this is machine you have chosen, and it could be that "Wizard" is right to say I may have been expecting to much for a machine in this price bracket. One thing that may be worth a mention is the base has had an upgrade to the one seen in the images on the Axminster web site. The four adjustable feet have been replaced so you can now bolt the machine down.

Back