Pagoda Light & Shadow Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roof joint ready to be assembled and glued;
Dsc00340.jpg

How it'll fit together;
Dsc00341.jpg

Dsc00342.jpg

Image1.jpg

A quick try on top of the light box before I lay it on the bench with a weight on each corner to keep it flat till the glue cures.
Note that the very top of the roof joint still needs to be sanded to blend in with the curve on the top of the side pieces;
Dsc00345.jpg

The roof is cut from oak while all the rest is pine (I scrapped what little bit of beech I had to start with trying to route slots in it) so I think I'll oil the roof after final cleanup to deliberately accentuate the difference.

Next job is tarting it up a bit/adding splashes of colour for which I'm using the following photos and the japanese equivalent of relevant words for inspiration. (From the recipients point of view this is probably the point at which I either look really clever or fall flat on my face. :))
Image2.jpg

Oh yes, and most of the LEDs arrived in the post this morning but not the ones that I thought most likely to succeed to that's going to have to be put off til monday now.

Col.

Attachments

• Dsc00340.jpg
    Dsc00340.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Dsc00341.jpg
    Dsc00341.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 827
  • Dsc00342.jpg
    Dsc00342.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 827
  • Dsc00345.jpg
    Dsc00345.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 827
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 827
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 827
Good result on the roof Col. =D>
Looking forward to maybe the most important part of this project, the lighting.

I'm pretty confident I can sort the lighting out scrollerman but I'm now toying with the idea of using acrylic paints to enhance the cutouts on the panels and it's that bit that I'm most worried about. Nothing ventured nothing gained, or so they say.. but on the other hand it isn't half looking pretty just the way it is eeek! :)

I got a bit more done today.
First up was adding the Japanese words that describe the scenes which all illustrate one aspect of traditional Japanese culture;
Dsc00360.jpg

I then used acrylic paint to highlight some of the edges in the panels;
Dsc00373.jpg

Using a prit stick I then tacked some tissue paper crudely to the back of the two sides featuring Geisha just to see how they'd look with an ordinary tea light candle in full daylight with the curtains drawn and I was quite pleased;
Dsc00364.jpg

Dsc00366.jpg

Dsc00367.jpg

I've got a pack of about 20 different shades of tissue paper so next up will be trying to use it to colour the illuminated cutouts. If it works it works and if it doesn't then I'm still pleased with how it looks now with just white tissue.
Dsc00371.jpg

The bad news with tea lights is that in order to cast a half decent shadow the back of the box has to be well within a foot of a wall (which might be ok) so I'm still planning on modding a couple of LEDs when they arrive tomorrow which I know will give a much brighter (not to mention safer) light. It'd be nice is I could give it away capable of working straight out of the box with tea light candles OR an LED setup to make it more versatile so that'll be in the back of my mind also when the LEDs arrive.

Col.

Attachments

• Dsc00360.jpg
    Dsc00360.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Dsc00364.jpg
    Dsc00364.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 780
  • Dsc00366.jpg
    Dsc00366.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 780
  • Dsc00367.jpg
    Dsc00367.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Dsc00371.jpg
    Dsc00371.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Dsc00373.jpg
    Dsc00373.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 780
Added a touch of colour to the front panel and still running on one candle power :)
Dsc00379.jpg

Dsc00381.jpg

The shadow casting panel (the crane) has no tissue paper in it and looked a bit sharper in real life than it does in this next photo in which it was probably around 2" from the wall which is painted light green matt emulsion.
Dsc00383.jpg

Col.

Attachments

• Dsc00379.jpg
    Dsc00379.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 765
  • Dsc00381.jpg
    Dsc00381.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 765
  • Dsc00383.jpg
    Dsc00383.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 765
That added colour makes the world of difference and gives a really nice contrast !

One final update on how I attached the roof.
There's a peg on all four corners but only the front two do anything, the back two are just for show.
Dsc00385.jpg

Dsc00403.jpg

Dsc00402.jpg

There's still no sign of the LED bulbs I ordered last wednesday and my sister's coming to on friday so I may have to give her it just running of a night light.
Dsc00405.jpg

Dsc00398.jpg

Thanks for all your interest and don't forget if you want to download the free plans just follow the link in my sig.

Col.

Attachments

• Dsc00385.jpg
    Dsc00385.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 722
  • Dsc00403.jpg
    Dsc00403.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 722
  • Dsc00402.jpg
    Dsc00402.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 722
  • Dsc00405.jpg
    Dsc00405.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 722
  • Dsc00398.jpg
    Dsc00398.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 722
Claymore":3e1la5ef said:
Excellent Colin and i'm sure your sister will love it! what's next project?
Brian
Next up is a bit of turning. I began a small mahogany bowl a few weeks ago when I bought a charnwood mini lathe but it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding so I sent it back and bought an axminster instead which I've barely had time to look at yet. Not sure if I'll be posting about it though, I'm not even sure which end of the chisels I'm supposed to hold yet. :oops:

Col.

Scrollerman":3684poc0 said:
That added colour makes the world of difference and gives a really nice contrast !
Thanks scrollerman, personally I think it could do with just a wee bit more colour but the lacquer's on now and I'm still waiting for those damn LEDs and my sister's due here friday so it'll have to do as it is.

Col.

Hi Col , greetings from across the bridge in sunny Barrow . I have been reading your posts for a while now & really enjoyed them , I assumed you were also a turner as well as a scroller , anyway I don't know whether you are aware but there is a woodcraft club in St Matthews church hall on Hartington St . They do scrolling , turning , pyrography & carving , I mention it firstly just to make you aware if you don't already know & secondly to let you know that there is a woodturning demo on at 18.30 tonight with Nick Arnull , professional turner . The rooms are on the 1st floor though & there is a steep staircase to climb , I was not sure how you were health & mobility wise . You would be very welcome to attend, but clubs are not everyones cup of tea , cheers for now , Tony

tony":om1w2qpz said:
You would be very welcome to attend, but clubs are not everyones cup of tea , cheers for now , Tony
Hi Tony.

That's amazing. I was just talking to the wife the other day about how far it was to the Kendal club. I'd no idea there was one just over the bridge but if you're going tonight hopefully I'll see you there and thanks for the heads up!

Col.

Hi Colin , im not sure whether I will make tonight , but im sure you will enjoy it if you get there & hopefully we will meet up in the future. There is normally a small door charge for these demos , it could be £3 to £5 & you will get a brew + biscuits , cheers Tony . ( The church I am talking about by the way is on the same block as the kings hall & just up the st a bit )

Hi Col.
Just watched the video, really enjoyed it and I'd like to thank you for taking the time and effort in making it for the benefit of us all. =D>

Walney Col":s3mu33i6 said:
30 minutes long and wall to wall Japanese music so if that's not to your taste I apologise in advance :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a48QPViryS4

Absolutely brilliant video, and a lovely item at the end of it. Very well done indeed.

FWIW The music on the video is excellent too, (I know the first track it's the hit song Sukiaki by Kyu Sakamoto)

How do you manage to make the video as well as making the project? I would find doing either one difficult without trying to do the two together!

The light is really effective 10/10 IMHO.

Back