Into clock making cases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We have seven grandchildren and the oldest two have announced wedding plans so I have got to get out my tools again.

I have purchased five clocks as a starters, (£6 each at our local Sainsbury sale price)
I am only after the faces and movements. I thought they were attractive, they have a distressed look and appear aged.

start 3.jpg

Made a start, although I have no working plans, just cutting up as I go, so I could be in trouble the first one.

Some ply cut to hold face and movement.

start 2.jpg

Some more timber prepared for clock casing and doors etc.
box 1 start.jpg

Attachments

• start 3.jpg
    start 3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,723
  • start 2.jpg
    start 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,723
  • start 2.jpg
    start 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,723
  • box 1 start.jpg
    box 1 start.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,723
Paul sellers has got a clock case making series just started on YouTube. Might give you some ideas.

With the good weather around we went down to Cornwall for a few days. should be back in the workshop again, when rested.

Had a good day in the workshop and got quite a bit done for me.

The main carcass parts have been prepared and picture displays a dry run without parts glued.

4w.jpg

sections in process of being glued to positions.

5w.jpg

Looking forward to returning to project later in the week.

Attachments

• 4w.jpg
    4w.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 5w.jpg
    5w.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,312
Woke up this morning,(not feeling fine :) )

I have a problem.

I have not got enough frontage on the bottom stand to accommodate a glass door frontage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thinking to add some frontage or possibly not having opening doors on the front, but a fixed glass frame.

Or loose the idea of a bottom cupboard to this clock and turn the case into a two dial clock so that the newly weds can have a two time system, would suit their world travels.

The problems that arise not having a working plan and working off the hoof, also age related.

devonwoody":2613am6j said:
Woke up this morning,(not feeling fine :) )

I have a problem.

I have not got enough frontage on the bottom stand to accommodate a glass door frontage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thinking to add some frontage or possibly not having opening doors on the front, but a fixed glass frame.

Or loose the idea of a bottom cupboard to this clock and turn the case into a two dial clock so that the newly weds can have a two time system, would suit their world travels.

The problems that arise not having a working plan and working off the hoof, also age related.

Looking good so far.
Could an inset (flush with frame) door with butt hinges be made to fit?
Or failing that an inset solid panel?

a quick look online suggests decades. I have not used a huge number but have never known one fail, and they are described as "permanent"

So decided to continue but a two faced clock.

Found a matching piece of ply to prepare frame for clock face.

6w.jpg

Did a rough cut using a jig saw, but it will come clean on the sander drum in the drill press, I hope!

7w.jpg

Got to go and find some glass for the two sections, I would prefer 2mm but is the quality good enough for this type of project or are there different grades of 2mm does anyone know?

Attachments

• 6w.jpg
    6w.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,198
Looking interesting John and really pleased to see you back at the bench again......I really thought you'd hung your hammer up for keeps :)

I wouldn't give too much thought to the lack of a drawn design, what you're doing is rapid prototyping. Its a very dynamic process where you change direction based on how you feel each decision looks when cut. After you've completed the first one you'll know exactly how you want to take the 2nd. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with that (I do it all the time :))

Glad to have you back.

Bob, thanks for the encouragement, went to bed last night with design problems but woke up this morning with a fresh idea.

The centre bar of carcass is out of proportion now I have dispensed with the door idea, however it now comes to mind that it could be an ideal space to put an inscription (it is going to be a wedding present)

So more progress yesterday.

I count 12 clamps holding glass mountings to frame, (my workshop needs a clean up as well)

8w.jpg

A picture of project so far.

9w.jpg

Attachments

• 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 9w.jpg
    9w.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,298
I am ready to start finishing the inside of cabinet, cannot remember, should I use sanding sealer before coating with Danish Oil?
Or straight oiling?

No sealer. But it is recommended not to oil inside boxes, drawers etc because the smell can longer.

marcros":1hrzsz7v said:
No sealer. But it is recommended not to oil inside boxes, drawers etc because the smell can longer.
What do you think I could use instead , bearing in mind modern day youngsters most probably would never maintain during the next 40 years?

I don't think varnish would be a good idea because they most probably would never strip down to the inside of clock casing and revarnish. ???????????

My default on a drawer would just be sanding sealer. I have heard about leaving them plain/unfinished but I find that the sanding sealer makes them a bit less grabby to dust. Probably not an issue here.

I have oiled inside boxes- sometimes it is unavoidable when inside and outside need to match.

Latest posts

Back