Skew chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcann

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given a number of skew chisels, they range in size from 1/2in to around 1.5in, now being a novice I am a little confused as all the angles are different ranging from 15deg to 45deg, the end skew angles are all different, my question is, is there an optimum angle across all sizes, or does it vary according to width, I would add that they are all fairly old but sturdy, they have the appearance of having been sharpened with an angle grinder.

As supplied by most manufacturers they would probably be 20deg.
But the actual angles are very much a personal preference to suit your working methods.
For basic proportions you can use this sketch for starters.
file.php

Thanks for reply, I will give it a go in the morning,
Just a thought, With regard to grinding tools, does the diameter of the wheel influence the cutting angle, I have an 8in machine,
Martin

Not as such, the angle is dependant upon the angle you present the tool to the wheel.
What the wheel diameter does influence is the curvature of the ground facet, some will argue that a 200mm (8") wheel is better, I've never found any significant difference in performance of gouges whether ground on a 150mm wheel or a belt sander(flat facet)

What is important is the type of wheel used and the surface finish obtained.

White oxide as a minimum standard for HSS tools and Red or Blue ceramic for faster cooler cutting.

As said earlier the angle of presentation is a matter of choice largely dependent on working methods and the wood.
You adjust your presentation to accommodate the angle they're ground at. I've seen old skews ground straight across.

Well I spent a few hours on the grindstone today, absolute success, sorted skews out first then moved onto gouges, I had assumed wrongly that all the bevels were correct but just dull, and my lack of success on the lathe was down to me, sorted them and now I am getting somewhere, thanks for your help.
Tomorrow I will order a new wheel for the grinder as suggested.
Martin

Back