September Woodturning Challenge - The Requirements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
While waiting for the judge's decision and my calculations of the scores for the August Challenge, here are the requirements for the September Challenge:-

The September Challenge is for “a pair”. Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this month’s Challenge, and there will be a plaque for first place, kindly made for us by forum member Daven. Many thanks to both!! =D> =D> =D>

Challenge Requirements: A Pair

This month’s rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
2. For the purposes of this challenge a pair is defined as two matching pieces (matching in terms of size, form, finish, decoration, grain pattern (within the limits of natural variations)
3. There are no size restrictions this month
4. Segmented turning, piercing and carving are all allowed.
5. Colouring, pyrography and texturing are allowed, but the principal requirement is for the judge to be able to see your turning skills, and to gauge the form and finish of your entry, and to judge how accurately your two turnings make a matched pair
6. Any wood may be used, but the essence of this month’s Challenge is for a matched pair

Please post 3 images of your work along with a brief note about how you made it (them?), what wood, tools and finishes you used and the dimensions of your entry (hopefully both will be the same!!!). :lol: :lol:

Images needed:-

1 showing a general side view of the pair placed side by side
1 bottom view of both
1 top view of both
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description between 10pm on the 26th September and 10pm on the 28th September.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 28th September and 10pm on 30th September (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries or questions on this month’s Challenge, please use this thread to ask. I am away next week (7th to 14th), so will not be able to respond to queries during that period.

Back