Suggestions as to a range of blades for a beginner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
AS a beginner at Scroll Saw work and only having a few packets of blades of various types (mainly spirals) I would like some advice as to purchasing a range of blades to use with the following materials:

Plywood 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4"
Hardwood:
Iroko various thicknesses from 6mm to 37mm (typically 10-12mm)
Oak from 12mm to 19mm
Bass sheet 2.5mm (I am hoping to use some of the spiral blades on this to use them up and as I am only rough-cutting prior to filing to a line do not need super accuracy, although an easy cut is preferred).

The only blades I currently have that I am aware of the type/pitch are Pegas Spiral No 1 although I do have some I suspect are about a # with a skip tooth (which I used on the Rabbit Puzzle).

So, over to you knowledgeable chaps for your suggestions?

TIA, Eddie.

Hi Eddie,

I can put a selection in an envelope for you to try and drop it through your door tomorrow while I'm on my rounds if you want?

A bit late today, I'm just waking out the door. PM me your address / place of work if you want me to, I'm in the city and Plympton tomorrow, but could be anywhere else also, I get around a bit! :shock:

Kind regards,

Ed

Eddie.

Blade type/size will depend on how intricate a piece you want to cut, my main go to blades are size 3, 5, and 7, all reverse tooth Niqua, this means that the bottom six or eight teeth are reversed to the rest of the blades teeth, this goes a long way in preventing breakout on the underside of your work piece. I keep in stock all the other sizes up to number 12, and metal cutting blades, but as said 3,5 and 7 are the blades that I use most.

The one blade I did not have any success with was spiral, it was many years ago now that I tried them, so can’t really remember what the problem was other than the cut was too wide.

Take care.

Chris R.

Have to agree with Chris especially the bit about spiral blades. These are essentially standard blades that have been twisted so that they cut in all directions, they can be useful but are very difficult to cut nice flowing curves or straight lines without bumps etc! I would recommend you leave your spiral blades in their packet!

(That is a kind offer from Naxie BTW)

whatever you do don't get them mixed up like i did! I had them in a box with separate sections and accidentally knocked it off my bench grrrrrrrrrrrrr its amazing how they all look the same when spread out on the floor lol
regarding metal blades will they cut 2mm pewter Chris?

Naxie":1qtdeqgx said:
Hi Eddie,

I can put a selection in an envelope for you to try and drop it through your door tomorrow while I'm on my rounds if you want?

A bit late today, I'm just waking out the door. PM me your address / place of work if you want me to, I'm in the city and Plympton tomorrow, but could be anywhere else also, I get around a bit! :shock:

Kind regards,

Ed

Wow, that is very kind of you Ed, I will send a PM with my address (St. Budeaux) can I pay you for them, or perhaps when I know what I want and place an order for myself, can I get you some of your most used blades?

Thanks to all that replied:

Claymore":1qtdeqgx said:
whatever you do don't get them mixed up like i did! I had them in a box with separate sections and accidentally knocked it off my bench grrrrrrrrrrrrr its amazing how they all look the same when spread out on the floor lol

Hmmm, I didn't knock mine on the floor, I just put them all in the same bag, now I have no idea what is what except for the one bag of unopened spirals mentioned in the post.

Ed Bray":78vqoyco said:
Wow, that is very kind of you Ed, I will send a PM with my address (St. Budeaux) can I pay you for them, or perhaps when I know what I want and place an order for myself, can I get you some of your most used blades?

No problem at all, you're literally a stones throw away! I'll sort out a selection a bit later on and drop them to you tomorrow. As others above, I mostly use the 3, 5 and 7 ultra reverse but have a selection of larger sizes also.

Don't worry about paying for them, if you want to, you can just replace them when you get some, you dont have to though.

Kind regards,

Ed

Claymore":3fxyrmgd said:

Brian.

Never tried pewter, but I have cut copper, brass and aluminium, so can’t see there would be any problem with pewter.

If you go to the http://www.hegner.co.uk web site and look under piercing blades, under each size of blade, it gives the thickness of none ferrous metal which can be cut, example G12- 5/16”, G16- 3/8”.

Hope this is of help.

Chris R.

Cheers Chris, I have an idea for a box and might incorporate some pewter into the design :cool:
Brian

I would like to publically thank Ed who was true to his word and dropped around some blades for me to try out along with a couple of books to borrow and a nice piece of wood.

Thank you so much Ed, I will be in touch soon.

Back