How to win at chess (don't tell the wood turners!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
View the first image full size (click on it) to get the instructions :)

how to win at chess 1.jpg

how to win at chess 2.jpg

Attachments

• how to win at chess 2.jpg
    how to win at chess 2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • how to win at chess 1.jpg
    how to win at chess 1.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 986
Another great design! Thanks. I want to try a compound cut as my head just can't get around how they work so maybe I will try with this. Not a big issue but the instructions refer to a bishop and castle, shouldn't that be a bishop and knight?

Whoops. Yeah you're right. I was thinking about a bishop and a castle suddenly combining and being able to move like a queen but then realised the castle was quite a bit shorter and decided to make a bishop/knight instead. I'll see if I can edit post #1 to upload a revised image.

Even when made large enough to go on the mantle piece I reckon it'd be an interesting curiosity.

Have you made one yet Col? Just wondering what the finished thing will look like.

Stooby":1i6viwj6 said:
Have you made one yet Col? Just wondering what the finished thing will look like.
No I haven't, but from one side it'll look like a bishop and from the other...... ;-)

They really do work bearing in mind that if rotated to around 45 degrees you get neither one nor the other. They have to be pretty much at 90 degrees to get the proper effect with no hint of anything untoward going on. But then chess players aren't normally renowned for being hyper active so I imagine it'd work out well. :)

Back