Blue Badge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been to Tesco and as usual I try to park in one of the disabled bays and I was in luck today and parked six bays down from the end. The disabled bays are both sides of the path that leads to the store entrance so hobbling towards the store on my crutches I passed 12 bays, including my own, which were all occupied and out of the eleven cars I passed five of them had no blue badge on display. I spoke to a telco employee, whom I know, and he said the store does not do anything to deter this practice, they used to at one time but not any longer.

This situation is getting worse as I often struggle to find a disabled bay at other stores as well. I don't know how the drivers have the nerve to deny a genuine disabled person of a parking bay, I wonder if these people would like their disabilities as well. Some even borrow a relatives blue badge when they go shopping. disgusting I think.

Why not take photos showing the registration number and the lack of a blue badge and post them online sending a link to your local council who are legally obliged to take action of all offenses reported to them that are backed up with evidence. I dare say it'll get you nowhere but someone has to be the one to speak up.

I have every sympathy with you as I regularly see this abuse from people who can't be bothered to walk another 25m and have no badge. Unfortunately if it is off road and not a council car park there is not much can be done. Just a lack of consideration from ignorant people.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It's a real bugbear for me as well Geoff, I actually need the extra width of the bays to be able to open the car door fully to be able to swing my legs out and get out of the car. If there are no spaces, as usually the case I have to find a space in the depths of the car park which has plenty of empty bays next to it. This adds quite a few minutes to are walk to the shop but at least I can get in and out of the car. You can almost guarantee that out of all the empty spaces around, someone will be parked either side of me within 6" of the doors. Sitting on the car bonnet for 20 mins or so until one of them gets back is not an uncommon occurrence. :cry:

Another thing that winds me up is the blue badge holder that parks up in a disabled bay then proceeds to read the paper in their car while their able bodied partner goes and does the shopping! Why? :x

Rant over.

Kind regards,

Ed

Earlier this week a posh new car parked next to me and out comes granny’s blue badge while granny sits in the car and her fit offspring’s go shopping. Shame they have cameras in the car parks these days.

Walney Col. I never thought of taking a photo. I always have the camera in the car just in case I see a 20 year old blonde streaker. Naxi. I too have to have my door wide open before I can get out and in a normal parking space this is next to im[ossible if there is a car in the next bay. Thanks everyone else for your comments.

My daughter complains about the use of Mother & Child spaces by those without young kids.
She has a habit of asking offenders - Haven't you forgot something? They usually look at her and she says 'Your Child' ?

In Florida all Blue Badge spaces, including those on private land eg supermarkets, restaurants etc have a sign that says which section of the law applies ie Section XXX.yyy so there is no doubt the law is being broken if no badge displayed. That is what is needed here - just a matter of political will.

I am sure planning permission will require a stated amount of car parking places and that there should be x spaces for the blue badge holders. Therefore it could be argued that Tesco, in this case, are not complying with the terms of their planning consent if they don't make reasonable efforts to ensure those spaces are available for blue badge holders. :)

Brian

Naxie":afkwqlm2 said:
It's a real bugbear for me as well Geoff, I actually need the extra width of the bays to be able to open the car door fully to be able to swing my legs out and get out of the car. If there are no spaces, as usually the case I have to find a space in the depths of the car park which has plenty of empty bays next to it. This adds quite a few minutes to are walk to the shop but at least I can get in and out of the car. You can almost guarantee that out of all the empty spaces around, someone will be parked either side of me within 6" of the doors. Sitting on the car bonnet for 20 mins or so until one of them gets back is not an uncommon occurrence. :cry:

Another thing that winds me up is the blue badge holder that parks up in a disabled bay then proceeds to read the paper in their car while their able bodied partner goes and does the shopping! Why? :x

Rant over.

Kind regards,

Ed

You have my sympathy too. I am not disabled but trying to open the door wide enough to get a toddler in and out of a car seat requires much the same space.

If a parent and child space isn't available I park as far away as necessary for there to be plenty of empty specced and park across 2. I only do so at the supermarket where the only shortage is of nearby spaces but not spaces in general. Obviously doesn't help with the extra walk which can be an issue for some.

Supermarkets seem to have no difficulty fining people for overstaying (2 hours?) so I fail to understand why any supermarket with even the slightest social conscience could not amend its signs to apply the charge equally to any car in a disabled bay not displaying a blue badge. Only needs a walk round once an hour with a camera. Proceeds to a disabled charity??

A non-user

Terry

I have on two occasions taken a photo on my phone of non blue badge holders parking in a disabled space, on both occasions I was asked why and verbally abused, I didn't feel threatened, after all I had my walking stick and I would have used it, as a weapon!!!

However looking at the bigger picture, I think with some offenders it's not just about parking closer to the store, it's because a disabled space is considerably wider than a normal space, meaning there is less chance of some numpty flinging there car door open and banging it into your car, causing a fair amount of damage, this has happened to my wife's car (her very first brand new car), it's about time parking spaces were made wide enough to open your car door without the risk of damaging the car in the next space.

Please don think I agree with non disabled drivers parking in disabled spaces, it is wrong and offenders should be fined, even in private car parks, but unfortunately I can't see supermarkets penalising people for using disabled spaces.

Baldhead

Edit: I am a blue badge holder.

Baldhead":2ue5qtnz said:
unfortunately I can't see supermarkets penalising people for using disabled spaces.

Baldhead

Edit: I am a blue badge holder.

Facebook and reddit photos etc can drum up quite a lot of publicity nowadays (good or bad) and if the photos in question just happened to be shared on the supermarket's own social media pages to featureing not only the vehicle but also the offending supermarket logo their public relations chappies would be all over it like a rash trying to stamp it out. *

https://www.facebook.com/tesco?ref=ts&fref=ts

* For at least for a week or two.

All of the supermarkets around here have disabled parking bays but there is no mention of requiring a blue badge.

My elderly mother-in-law lives in our granny annex and since breaking her hip a couple of years ago can only walk a few yards using a walking frame. To take her anywhere we have to transport her in the car and then push her in a wheelchair.

However, she would not admit that she had major mobility problems and refused to sign the application form for a blue badge until very recently. Until then we parked in the Waitrose disabled spaces with no problems or disapproval of others!

The biggest problem we have is that the wheels of the clip on disabled shopping trolleys clash withthe front caser wheels of the wheelchair. Even worse are all the cages of food left around the isles that make manoeuvring the wheelchair and trolley extremely difficult.

So do not be too quick to criticise those parked in disabled spaces unless you actually see the individual and know that they are disabled. Remember that a lot of elderly are very bloody minded and won't admit to a problem or cooperate inmaking things easier for their carers. I know, Ive had this with both my mother and mother-in-law!

Misterfish

I sympathise and agree entirely. I am (fortunately) not disabled nor have any children but it hacks me off the selfishness of other drivers. One of these days I guess I will end up in a punch-up as I do challenge them. .

I like that website ...you need to insert the four letter slang word for a female genitalia and then it works. But Facebook is probably better...even more so if it were locally oriented. Now that would be something for local newspapers to take on board.

misterfish":2qavo380 said:
All of the supermarkets around here have disabled parking bays but there is no mention of requiring a blue badge.

My elderly mother-in-law lives in our granny annex and since breaking her hip a couple of years ago can only walk a few yards using a walking frame. To take her anywhere we have to transport her in the car and then push her in a wheelchair.

However, she would not admit that she had major mobility problems and refused to sign the application form for a blue badge until very recently. Until then we parked in the Waitrose disabled spaces with no problems or disapproval of others!

The biggest problem we have is that the wheels of the clip on disabled shopping trolleys clash withthe front caser wheels of the wheelchair. Even worse are all the cages of food left around the isles that make manoeuvring the wheelchair and trolley extremely difficult.

So do not be too quick to criticise those parked in disabled spaces unless you actually see the individual and know that they are disabled. Remember that a lot of elderly are very bloody minded and won't admit to a problem or cooperate inmaking things easier for their carers. I know, Ive had this with both my mother and mother-in-law!

Misterfish

Misterfish are you saying you knowingly parked in disabled spaces without displaying a blue badge?

Baldhead

My son has a blue badge due to his leg difficulties (that preceded this latest hospital session) and much like the OP our big Tesco has numerous bays which are always full. I've been sorely tempted to buy a knackered old jalopy for £200 and just park broadside blocking as many known offenders as possible while I shop. That would inconvenience them to the same degree and I'm pretty sure the supermarket wouldn't have the nerve to move my car.

Sometimes direct action is the only way. A few years back our neighbourhood were in dispute with a land owner trying to put a gate into a horse paddock that had no planning and would mean our little leafy lane became a motorway for horse boxes. Everyone guffed around at neighbourhood committee meetings taking huge action like making more tea and buns. Eventually one of the old boys who ran a fencing business turned up with his gang and concreted in a 6x6 post. 2 days later her (the lady trying to illegally build the gate, turned up and had her yobs chainsaw it to the ground. Next my neighbour started parking one of his works flat beds there during the day. She went totally nuts and started threatening to damage it etc to whih he invited her to do her best. After a while, he needed the vehicle so he had his gang concrete in a steel post. To my knowledge its still there to this day. She gave up and used a different lane to access her field. The one she actually had planning for.

Had he not taken the matter into his own hands, there would likely be a block of commercial stables there by now.

If you got the kahunas, direct action can be very successful, though I accept, risky.

Music to the "A" team fading.......

Back