Is this saw worth a punt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Oppressed Slave of Gary The Cat
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm looking to upgrade my erbuarer scroll saw to something a bit better. I can't afford a Hegner (even secondhand) and was wondering if there were other scroll saws out there that were sort of underdogs of the Hegner that were within my budget.

I've come across this saw on eBay and wonder if its worth a punt as it looks similar to a hegner.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 12&alt=web

My budget is between £50-80, the less the better if possible.

Thanks everyone

Hi Doris. Don't even think of getting it. It looks a dog that has been badly neglected. You would have nothing but problems and I doubt if you would get any spare parts for it here in the UK. I really feel for you as there are many would be scrollers out there that would love a decent scroll saw to get started. I would really try and save a bit more money and at least get something that's half decent.

Hi Doris,
Have to agree with Geoff here..... avoid anything with Parkside/Einheil/Fern written on the side as I have 2 of them here for doorstops! I was fortunate in that i didn't buy them so lost no money but they are VERY bad and will put you off Scrolling for ever.
Keep an eye on Ebay for a secondhand Axminster/Hegner plus the other decent brands as you will save money in the long run.

it is identical to the clarke 18" excluding the switch position. a good hardworking saw. if you get it for a bargain then why not, if you get it for 30 quid why not have a punt, especially if it's close enough to pick up. it looks to need the table sanding back (no great chore) and will no dowt need a few bits sorting on it, typically the rear bearing and the lower crank shaft bearing.
they vibrate a bit because of the C arm design, clamped to a firm base to deal with this. they may not be a hegner or whatever but they do work and work well.

I feel that many people who are thinking of taking up scrolling for the first time would be put off if they bought that machine from e-bay, All experienced scrollers know that it is a dog of a scroll saw and it is hard work trying to produce something half decent on one let alone the frustrations of blade changing. The speed is only 1420 so it will be very slow going in hardwoods. Even bolting it down onto a solid base will still cause problems, blades will keep breaking. One guy who had a similar machine could only use number 11 blades, anything smaller would snap as soon as he switched it on.

Doris. If you do see another saw that takes your eye then please let the forum know and we can advise you on the pros and cons because in all probability one of us probably owns the same saw you are looking at.

I own the clarke 18" saw, I have no issues with blade breakage, the blade change is quick. slacken the rear screw, lift the centre plate and the slide the blade out and into the holder on the right of the table, uses a 4mm allen key. fully intend to put a quick release on, both arms have a threaded hole for adding top and bottom plates.
I'd suggest that if he had issues with blade breakage either it was misaligned between top and bottom mount or the mount point was worn putting excessive twist on the blade. I guess mine was free so makes it worth the punt.

I'll crawl back into shell, ignore my post above.

novocaine":2fjp1e0x said:

Why would you want to do that? :) Everyone's point of view and comments are worthwhile and interesting whether one agrees with or against them. It would be a pretty pointless and boring place if we all had exactly the same thoughts. :)

scrimper":34oysq7d said:
novocaine":34oysq7d said:

Why would you want to do that? :) Everyone's point of view and comments are worthwhile and interesting whether one agrees with or against them. It would be a pretty pointless and boring place if we all had exactly the same thoughts. :)

I like my shell, but you are welcome to visit, the kettle is always on. :D

My 1st Saw was from Ebay an Axminster yellow one for £30.00 did me well and it gave me the bug, some of the older saws seem to be built better and more solid. Than the ones you get now.

Had two of the Clarkes, but think my heavy handedness didn't help. and once I got the saw I have now, I have moved up a gear in terms of what I can make.

Buy what you can afford, and give it a go, personally brand new saws below £120.00 are all the same thing, I would rather buy a 2nd hand saw at £120.00 than a brand new one.

Doris...There has been some good advice and some very uninformed advice given here so let's put this in perspective and answer your question.

You asked "I've come across this saw on eBay and wonder if its worth a punt as it looks similar to a hegner."

First of all, it might look like a Hegner to you but it's not as it's a 'C arm' as has been rightly pointed out by novocaine.
This design of saw has been around for years and it's a very solidly built piece of kit with very few moving parts.
How do I know this ? This design was the very first saw I bought years ago back in the 90's and it hasn't changed since then !
Being a 'C arm' saw it has a more aggressive cutting action than parallel arm saws but it's a fantastic way to learn scrollsawing.
Learn on one of those and parallel arm saws will seem tame in comparison !
There are downsides to that saw as it has a very small table like the Hegner and a rubbish blade changing system also like the Hegner.
It would benefit from variable speed but I've never seen this design with that option.

So, the current price (as this posting) of that saw is £15 which is far cheaper than a Hegner rubber blower bellows spare part costing £26 !!

That saw also has a 22" throat which is a bonus.

To answer your question......Is it worth a punt ?

Hmmm...let me think about that ?

Also on the plus side it's undoubtedly a brushed motor which means that one of the many £7ish electronic speed controllers will instantly turn it into a variable speed jobbie. Personally I think it's well worth the £15 starting price and I'd even say as high as £25 on the understanding that there will be things you'll want to do to it to bring it up to scratch.

So the bottom line is if you enjoy tinkering with machinery it may well be worth a punt... and if you don't it probably wont.

Scrollerman":1giveeqj said:
There are downsides to that saw as it has a very small table like the Hegner and a rubbish blade changing system also like the Hegner.
It would benefit from variable speed but I've never seen this design with that option.

I don't wish to criticise your comments but for the life of me I cannot understand why you describe the Hegner blade changing system as rubbish? When I first tried my Hegner I found changing the blade a breeze after my other saws, what could be easier or simpler especially with the quick blade clamp?

Also you describe the table as "very small", again I have never found this to be a problem but in any case it's simple to add an auxiliary table on top the bonus being that you can make the blade hole much smaller to cope with cutting small or fine parts.

Walney Col":2b0ww98e said:
Also on the plus side it's undoubtedly a brushed motor which means that one of the many £7ish electronic speed controllers will instantly turn it into a variable speed jobbie. Personally I think it's well worth the £15 starting price and I'd even say as high as £25 on the understanding that there will be things you'll want to do to it to bring it up to scratch.

So the bottom line is if you enjoy tinkering with machinery it may well be worth a punt... and if you don't it probably wont.

I may be wrong but it looks more like an induction motor to me rather than a brushed one, I much prefer induction they are more reliable long lasting and quieter!

Although I feel this saw has been neglected and I agree with others that it is an economy saw and not great for doing fine fretwork I agree that at £15-£20 it has to be worth that especially if you are prepared to spend a little time giving it a bit of a makeover.

I think I'd be tempted if it was closer to home, if only to find out if a C-saw really rocks.
I see there's also a Nu-Tool one on fleabay with a buy it now price of £40

wizard":151h2zec said:
for £15.00 just buy it. simples

Not quite so simples though as you can't 'just buy it' when it's an auction. You can almost guarantee as soon as someone makes the first bid, there will immediately be more bids and the price will go up. Maybe even as far as 16 quid. ;)

wizard":32nv5myf said:
for £15.00 just buy it. simples
£15 is the reserve price not a buy it now price.

I really hope it goes to someone who'd get a lot of enjoyment out of taking an old crock and giving lots of care and attention to make it the best saw it can possibly be, rather than someone who'd just grumble because it doesn't have this that or the other bin it and move on. If it were local to me and I didn't already have a saw I'd love to give it a bash but out of respect for Doris the OP who asked for our opinions and also cos it's hundreds of miles away I'm just happy to be a spectator. :)

Have you had any more thoughts about it Doris? Is it calling out to you to buy it?

Back