Shellac sanding sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjw82

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a novice with wood finishing. I have recently had my old window shutters dipped and I am now applying the finish. I have used a slightly darkened shellac sanding sealer and the colour looks great and it is a really natural finish. I know I should probably use a wax to finish it but I really like the look without it. Can I get away with just leaving it with the sanding sealer??
Thanks for your help!

I'm assuming that these are internal shutters?
Bit nervous about the dipping and how well any caustics used have been neutralised.

Shellac should be fine but I suspect more prone to collect day to day dust without having been burnished or wax coated either of which would add a shine which I presume you wish to avoid.

A clear wax should not change the shade significantly.

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Still a bit confused. Yes I wish to avoid a shiny finish hence the reason I wasn't convinced about using a wax. However, finishing with a wax seems to be the consensus.

Definitely finish with a wax otherwise the shutters will look very tired quickly with scratches. Applying a clear wax polish using Superfine 0000 steelwool, leaving a few minutes and buff off with a lint free cloth will produce a lovely satin finish...not glossy.

Back