Disston Screwdigger & Veritas Plug Cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawn_Cracker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I see there have been a few posts about plug cutters and the vote for the tapered Veritas ones seems like the better option. I have a set of Disston screwdiggers (8, 10, 12) and corresponding plug cutters and find the plugs I'm cutting don't fit as tight as I would like. Will the Veritas set of three plug cutters from Axi work with the disston screwdiggers.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_273 using Tapatalk

+1 for the Veritas "Snug Plug" cutters. They are tapered and are easy to par off after. Axi only listed them as a ( expensive!) set but if you phone they will sell them separately. Geoff

Great, thanks guys. Axminster tools is close buy so will pop along this weekend.

Although the build of the disston set is fine the plugs just aren't snug enough for my liking.

I probably don't need a whole set either so will try and get singles.

Thanks again

Andy

If you're going to get one to try, can you let us know which size plug cutter works with the Disston one please? Axminster is no-where near me and I am in the same position as you and don't want to buy the wrong size.

Much appreciated.

I bought one of the tapered one from Canadian Tools. Good service, and good price, particularly if you do not need other stuff to bump up the order over the axi carriage paid threshold.

I reserve judgement on the tool- it worked fine on yew, but on african blackwood, one of the arms on the cutter sheared off. The merchant has told me that they will replace it, so i am awaiting it coming. It was some hard timber, and i thought that i had been careful so I dont know whether it was manufacturing defect, user error, nasty timber, or a combination.

http://www.canadiantools.co.uk/tools/Ve ... tters.html

Wuffles - no problem, will do. Am passing Saturday. To be sure I might counterbore a couple of holes in some scrap wood and take that along too!

Bueno. I bought the Disston without looking at any reviews...the reviews are poor for the plug cutting element. Got lucky a couple of times but most of the time it's dire so would need the right size Veritas to compliment them.

Cheers chap.

Hi Wuffles! Back from my hols now so plan to counter bore some holes and fit some plugs! What I didn't realise is that Veritas sell a 6, 8, 10 tapered plug cutter set which Axminster have said will def fit my disston 6, 8, 10 screwdiggers. Seems obvious now. Will check though and let you know.

Hope that helps

Andy

Cheers. I only have a two set of the disston drills so without resorting to a magnifying glass, I'm struggling to see what size they are. I'm sure I could if I check properly :eek:)

Ok so I counterbored a 6, 8 and 10 and cut three corresponding plugs with my Veritas snug cutters. Plug 6 is too loose, 8 fits great and 10 is too big.

I'm pretty disappointed, my gut feeling was that this might be an issue, which was why I asked the guys in Axi if it'd work. The advice was that the numbered sizes on the disston screwdiggers will def match the numbered sizes on Veritas ones. Definitely not so.

Anyone recommend a no 6 and 10 counterbore bit to match my new snug plug cutters? The Veritas cutters are really excellent. Perfectly smooth and nicely tapered.

So an 8 worked, useful to know. Wonder if the 10 works with a Trend Snappy 10mm...

And I can confirm it does. Veritas 10mm works beautifully with the Trend 10mm Snappy.

Back