Not all fun LOL.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Making wonderful artistic pieces is great fun but if you are trying to earn a living you also have to do what people want. I have another 9 pairs of these

27mm knitting needles.jpg

and another 8 of these

18mm crochet hook.jpg

All different sizes from 18mm to 33mm diameter. Puts bread on the table LOL so not really complaining.

pete

Attachments

• 27mm knitting needles.jpg
    27mm knitting needles.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,970
  • 18mm crochet hook.jpg
    18mm crochet hook.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,969
Can't wait until someone wants to knit/crochet a goal net.
Next stop a pattern makers lathe.

CHJ":mmz68o5e said:
Biggest pair of needles I have been asked to make were 50mm diameter and 400mm long, again for rug making. Once you get into making crafting tools it is amazing what there is out there.
Love to be able to afford a pattern makers lathe Chas, seen the price of them?

pete

Bodrighy":3tjq2xsv said:

pete

Could always mount the 28-40 head on an old metal lathe bed :lol:

Is the Wadkin bed in the yard fitted with rack and cross slide? could always build a shed over it.

Mind you just a simple basic metal lathe would be good for roughing down batches of spindles to size.

No but Mark has a fully equipped one with all attachments etc in his workshop next door. Said I can have a play when it is all set up in there. Like Richard Findley's on steroids LOL.

Pete

If the bed's anywhere near the size of that one in the yard you'll be able to turn telegraph poles. (hammer)

It's a bit longer I think He can turn up to 8' diameter and I think it is something like 10 or 12 foot length. It is a big beastie.

Pete

Bodrighy":17j606p3 said:
CHJ":17j606p3 said:
Biggest pair of needles I have been asked to make were 50mm diameter and 400mm long, again for rug making. Once you get into making crafting tools it is amazing what there is out there.

pete

Biggest knitting needles I had to make were for a customer who wanted them sent to Australia - they were 800mm long and 25mm in diameter, plus a 400mm x 25mm crochet hook - and she wanted round knobs on the end painted with white and blue flowers!!!! I also made a 600mm x 25mm set for a lady who runs a wool shop and wanted them as a window display item.

I actually sell quite a lot of hand made crochet hooks and knitting pins - but the more normal sizes are the most popular!!

I used to do quite a few crochet hooks and needles as well but more the outsize ones like these. Crafting tools in general are a good mainstay as people who do the traditional crafts like to have hand made tools. There are some weird ones out there LOL. (Tools I mean LOL...though there are some weird rafters as well :) )

Pete

I make about 15 different types of drop spindles, support bowls, pin bowls (magnetised) darning mushrooms, kumihino discs, niddy noddys, nostepinnes, couronne sticks, crochet hooks, bobbins (lace and tapestry), spare parts for spinning wheels, (never been asked for a complete one yet), proggers, seam rippers, the list goes on. Most are relatively quick and easy. Pocket money things such as finger tops, key rings, light pulls zipper tags, are also good little earners at shows. Often cover the cost of the stall just with those. Usually make them up from the odds and ends left over from the bigger stuff. Waste not want not and all that LOL.

Pete

I've made bits to repair a fair few spinning wheels too! I'm not sure that I know what some of those other craft items you make are for.... Most of my craft items have been made initially because someone asked for them, or because they are things I've used in the past.

They are great, solid lathes aren't they. Looks similar to the one that Mark has though I think he has got more electrics, I'll see if I can get a photo of it. Must admit I'd love one but apart from the fact that my workshop is too small the cost of all the chucks etc are phenomenal as far as I can make out. You have a Wadkin don't you Richard?

Pete

That's a fun looking lathe (despite the lurid colour) but you'd need a massive workshop and very deep pockets to be able to give it a good home :) Does anyone really want knitting pins that long!!!!

I have the RS 8 which can do just shy of 6ft between centres, the one on the bay is an RS 10 which I think can do nearer 9ft. It can also do a 20" bowl without removing the gap bed!

Chucks need adjusting or making for them, but I have a new Axi chuck being sorted for mine at the moment for £180, I think it was. You can also get the back plate for the Versachuck machined out if you know of a local engineer.

You would need 3 phase to run it unless you got it wired to run through an inverter. Arguably they are cheaper to run than many lathes as they have a 3 phase induction motor which, once up an running, cost vertually nothing to run. It's the initial kick from starting that uses the electrics I believe.

Your mate probably has the RU, which had a sliding bed, a real monster!!

Richard

Sounds about right, he never does things by halves and was a top furniture designer for 30 years so has all sorts of contacts. He runs it on 3 phase. He has plans to do an 8' bowl on the side ..should be worth a look when he does. He's sorting out his workshop at the moment. Used to be the R&D section for his company and is huge.

Pete

Back