Spray adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to glue some satin to the bass of a box I'm making, I was thinking of using spray adhesive, testing it on a small area, or is there an alternative glue I can use?

Baldhead

i used some spray adhesive from toolstation on thin leather. On satin, I would try double sided tape, or possibly copydex. Spray adhesive I found to be a pain- it got everywhere and made a mess- I wouldnt use if for that application again!

One tip that I read somewhere, and used, was to fix the material to cardboard first- cereal box is ideal. This allows you to cut something to size easily and dry fit, then cover it in the material. It also added a double thickness plus a bit where the edge was visible.

i had to line a box with silk i used fabric glue and glued the silk to the back of the card cut to size to fit you will have to cut the corners of the cloth so when its folded over the card it doesnt bunch up then glued it into the box and it looked good when finished , i would test the glue before using and make sure you check the card fits ok. hope this helps

devonwoody also used silk on a box on a project late last year- I cant remember how he fixed it though. maybe worth a look through his WIP's.

Thanks guys, I like the idea of double sided tape, the base of the box is 1/4 ply, I have cut a rebate (rabbet) in the bottom of the box, the base will fit into this, the join will be hidden by a plinth which the box sits on, so my idea is to fit the satin onto the base and folding it around the edges, as the underside will not be seen for the plinth it will give me a tidy finish. I also cut a rebate in the centre of the lid into which I will fit another piece of Oak.

Clear as mud! (I'm useless at explaining things) so here's some pictures

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 122
i wouldnt do that, although I can understand what you are saying.

I would make the box, and completely finish it before fitting the satin last of all on cardboard. This will prevent any damage, will allow you to glue the base in (to strengthen the mitred sides) and if something happens to damage the lining in 12 months time, it is replaceable.

a nice little box though- the proportions and lighter weight box sides look much better on this one.

Have a look at Andy Crawfords smart box maker site - smartboxmaker.com. He sells adhesive coated card which is ideal for the job, though not cheap. Put the fabric onto that then glue down with copydex. He has illustrated instructions on the site.

Normancb":1s33evas said:
Have a look at Andy Crawfords smart box maker site - smartboxmaker.com. He sells adhesive coated card which is ideal for the job, though not cheap. Put the fabric onto that then glue down with copydex. He has illustrated instructions on the site.
Thanks for that Normancb.

Baldhead

Photo Mount is the best spray adhesive for sticking fabric as it gives a very fine application of the glue which will not bleed through the fabric. You could also use wallpaper adhesive ( my glue of choice for most fabric and leather ) but with a very fine fabric like satin or silk I think Photo Mount would be best. Marcros' suggestion of mounting the fabric to card is a good one. You could also put a thin layer of cotton wool underneath the fabric to give a cushion effect which always adds a bit of class!

Photo Mount is the best spray adhesive for sticking fabric as it gives a very fine application of the glue which will not bleed through the fabric.

I would use either photomount or craft mount, both from 3M. Apply the satin to card first.

Chris

+1 for photomount, but make sure you shake the tin well and avoid "lumps" in the spray.

Another contributor advised Copydex; probably not a good idea on fine fabric, as it's very difficult to get a nice even thin spread of the adhesive, so only too easy to get bleed-through, which looks 'orrible. DAMHIKT.

Back