Lathe ID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRiseley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys after some help if possible?

I just grabbed a cheap lathe off eBay as it has a bit more capacity for bowls than mine and wondered if anybody new the make of it? The guy selling it doesn't know the make so before I go collect it I'm trying to do some homework about it. I can't find anything similar looking online anywhere.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 3,100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 3,100
It certainly gives me the impression that there should be something else at the tailstock end..... If not home made then possibly adapted.

I agree with Graham. If the bed is made from sheet steel it needs support at the tail stock end or it will move all over the place. There does not seem to be anything to keep the gap between the bed sections at a constant width. Don't wish to put a dampener on your new purchase but I would think if you enjoy turning you will soon be looking for something a bit more robust. The first thing you need to check is does he know what the spindle thread size is (3/4" x16. or 1" x 8 seem to be most common) If its not a standard thread you will struggle to get accessories for it.

I agree it is probably a Kity but the one shown from ebay, though taken from a bad angle, looks like it has some form of cap over the tail end of the bed.

Hi

It has different section bed bars, a different headstock, different tool rest assy, different tail stock, different control box - but yes you're right, it's green :lol:

Regards Mick

Thanks for the help guys. Heading to get it tomorrow so will give you an update if I can find out a maker name on it. Looks like it may need a little detling but hopefully it gives me the capacity I want.

A little update. Collected it today and off to a good start it didn't run so had to bypass the switch, got it loaded into the car and got home.

It's homemade but looks based on a kitty 663 or similar as the weld quality could never be a manufactured weld.

Now to fit a chuck to it, how can I work out the thread size? I have taken some measurements of the thread and have the following

Thread lentgh 12.5/13mm (battery is dead in calipers)
Diameter of thread to outside of threads 28.5mm
And there is 4 thread tops as I would call them.

I'm thinking it could be either 1x8tpi or 33x3.5tpi??

Anyone have any help?
Thanks

Hi Will

Not sure what thread it is but at those measurements it certainly isn't 33x3.5tpi as that is 33mm across the threads and 5 ridges to the 15mm

Phil

I'm now thinking my 300 mile round trip may have been wasted. I'm using the axminster catalogue and coming up with near to either 1 1/2" x 8tpi or 1 x 12tpi but I may just be stupid. It also has no morse taper so could they have used a metal lathe centre with threads on?

Latest posts

Back