Interior varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need a small tin of gloss or satin varnish to use on a handrail, handrail is made from an unknown hardwood (mahogulike) and has been stained with coloron wood dye. I assume the dye is an oil based as it says to thin or clean with white spirit.

Any recommendations? are any from the big sheds any good? have a B&Q and screwfix within swearing range.

Thanks.

Ronseal do smaller tins of satin, matt(ish) or gloss oil based varnish that I've had good results with. Thin the 1st coat 20% with white spirit, and apply sparingly but use enough to let it self flat the brush marks. This is a seal coat and will soak in more and help give a better deeper more hardwearing finish as it goes into the wood as oppose to sitting on top.

Let it dry 24 hrs preferably, de-nib with wire wool then either use another coat of thinned if you found this easier to apply (will need more coats though) or go to say 5% thinned, just to help it flat out better as varnish can be quite thick compared to other paints.

Remember to lightly de-nib between coats, and provide good ventilation and a larger sign saying WET PAINT!!!!

Latest posts

Back