Suggest a good wood for a mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A one piece in yew will be very nice I think and if you're not going to use it not that much, It's bound to last quite a long time.

Here are my bowls, I was using the middle one this afternoon and thinking, the good thing about lignum is its heft, it does the work for you.

Oh ! no photos allowed !

Regards, Mike.

Perfect, thanks, here we go...

IMG_3045_zpsc047bc04.jpg

You can never have enough mallets Graham. :) A softwood mallet will make a nice start and who knows where it might lead.

I must say the offer of a LV bowl is an excellent offer Berns, very generous.

Regards, Mike

I made mine with a handle of yew (same shape as Mike's). The head was of beech worktop sliced horizontally into three, cut roughly into circles, cleaned up and bored through with a forstner in a pillar drill. The layers were rotated so the end grain went around in a helix, and the whole thing was glued up with the handle running through. The handle was pre turned over length with a cut for a wedge and the turning centres left on. When dry the whole thing was turned and finished. It hasn't yet shown a dent, as it is nigh impossible to miss some end grain. It's good for two bits of firewood.

Back