The new Excalibur 2014 scroll saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really wanted an excalibur saw when i changed from the delta i had, it really appealed to me but after hearing several complaints about them i strayed away as i needed a reliable saw so bought the hegner instead. I must admit i like the hegner but i think it has its gripes too, i would like it faster and i constantly get my finger knocked when turning the wood by the large round quick release knob..

There are several problems with the excalibur, especially from the design point of view. I had one and it went back because of to many problems. The table is to thin to start with and the special coating on it does not last long and then the table looks unsightly. The other major problem was the blade clamps. I think when the guy came up with the idea he was thinking of 3/4 inch bandsaw blades and not the thin scroll saw blades. Although blade changing was quick it was a pain in the rear getting the blade just right for clamping. The best idea with the excalibur was the tilting arm as opposed to the table. I have looked at the new one they have just brought out and it still has the same problems I have mentioned. Although I could make a list of improvements I would like to make to the Hegner it is still the best saw around. Hopefully someone will come up with the ultimate scroll saw soon as the market really does need one.

Hi every one,
I have been looking to buy a scroll saw for the past three months. As I am new to wood working I have reading as much as I could find on the subject of scroll saws. Having bid on 5 secondhand Hegner scroll saws and lost I decided to buy
A 21 inch Excaliber only to find that they are out of stock so I left my email address to be Informed when they are back
In stack again. I decided to look in on this forum again and read what you had to say about Hegner v Excalibur. Very interesting reading. I went back to January to read some points of view. Having read what you all had to say I felt that I
Should by a Hegner scroll saw. And what do you know, whilst I was reading your views I received a email from Hegner
UK offering 15 percent discount until 30th April. I have bought a Hegner multicut scroll saw, hope you are right guys.

Hi loquiero.
A good choice, I am sure you will be very happy with your Hegner. :D
Enjoy your scroll sawing.

Take care.

Chris R.

I've got an Excalibur EX-16 (16inch throat)

Had no problems with it apart from the bottom clamp needing replaced but that was because it's been being used quite a lot since I bought it June 2013.

Other than that I'm completely happy with it. Doing everything I need it to and more.

The Hegner vs Excalibur thing is just preference. If you'd prefer to spend more money on a scroll saw, go for the hegner. If you have a budget (like I did) go for the Excalibur. It's still pricey but I feel it's totally worth it. Especially for the tilting mechanism! Soooooooo much easier working on a flat table.

& it's not just small things I've made with it either, check out
exciting-news-for-me-anyway-t77559.html

Is quite a large project I made for a University & the Glasgow Science Centre.

ChrisR":3gpy4v49 said:
I find that when I tilt my Hegner table to cut angled rounds for bowl making,....

Chris R.

Intriguing, bowl blanks on a scroll saw - tell me more pl. 'cause I just don't understand!

Brian

Like Keato, I too purchased an Excalibur ex16 last year and so far I am more than happy with it. Just recently, I have stuck a size 12 blade in it and used it for a lot of DIY tasks that I used to do with a hand saw. We moved house 3 months ago and the new place need renovating all the way through. In a few months I might be able to revert to using the saw for its proper purpose.

Back