Martinka & Devonwoody

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Martin and I are attempting to make a tissue box each with a scrolled pattern to the front face of box.

Progress so far is preparing a lump of sapele. 490 x 260 x 100mm.

Two faces plained flat on plainer.

1.jpg

Two slices taken off on bandsaw.

2w.jpg

The two pieces where then finished off on the thicknesser to 5.75mm thick.

3w.jpg

The two pieces are to be posted off to Martin who has got a unique pattern lined up, one for himself and the other for my use.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,969
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,969
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,969
It is wonderful to have the machinery to be able to cut wood to 6mm,I would say that most of us use 6mm ply most of the time.It will be very interesting to see yours and Martin's finished projects.I have been very lucky to receive some wood of that thickness.

Bryan

Martin and I are making progress on our joint project.

A couple of days ago Martin returned the sapele timber prepared on his scroll saw and has produced two perfect faced bits of work as per photograph below.

4w.jpg

I contacted a neighbour of mine who is rather good at accurate and artistic artwork who then produced this piece of outstanding artwork to match the frets supplied by Martin.

5w.jpg

I intend taking the art work and frets to our art society this weekend before proceeding with any further work on this project.

Any advice on how to sandwich the painted work between two boards appreciated. The paintwork has been done on artist quality thin 90lbs rag paper and I think the inks are permanent .

Attachments

• 4w.jpg
    4w.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 5w.jpg
    5w.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,741
devonwoody":22z5o8f3 said:
Martin and I are making progress on our joint project.

Any advice on how to sandwich the painted work between two boards appreciated. The paintwork has been done on artist quality thin 90lbs rag paper and I think the inks are permanent .

I'd feel inclined to sandwich the artwork between two sheets of overhead projector acetate type sheets to protect it, then glue all together appropriately... just my h.o. of course...

Gorgeous artwork - looking forward to seeing it all complete.

MMUK":34rdeldp said:
That artwork is cool :D

I recognise the Angel Fish. Is that supposed to be a Betta with it?

The only fish I recognise is the cod from my favourite chippy in Whitby. ;)
The fish are taken from a Steve Good pattern which he took from a free dingbat font, if that's the correct term.

Martin located the colour backing of the design and I have managed to print out on glossy photo paper using my inkjet printer.

6w.jpg

I now intend to do a trial run and see which colour system will work for the backing of fretwork and used has backing .

Attachments

• 6w.jpg
    6w.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,560
Did a session yesterday with the art and fret.

Used acetate, photographic design above but went with the art work.

Using a Bosch lightweight router I cleaned out a recess about 1/2mm deep and cleaned up with small plane and chisel. The mounting board for use with the router was screwed to my bench as per arrow and fence on router guided the cut out.

7w.jpg

A spray can of photomount was used to hold the artwork in place which has been cut to fit aperture.

8w.jpg

The first face board laying in position and hopefully all other faces should be worked today to form the two carcasses.

9w.jpg

Attachments

• 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • 9w.jpg
    9w.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,527
Two carcasses prepared (but need cleaning up) as per pic below.

10w.jpg

Things are going slowly at present, suffering from RSI or arthritis in elbow so things have slowed down a bit.

Attachments

• 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,441
Martin & Devonwoody.

This project is turning out very well. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

Great idea to share equipment and skills.

Chris R.

I have stitched the corners because of the timber layers to the front face, lids for the boxes are being constructed with a contrast maple wood.

Put the brown paint to pics because over exposure killed the sapele colour.

Attachments

• 11w.jpg
    11w.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,376
Boxes now completed and pleased to have posted the left hand one to Martin.

13w.jpg

Thanks to Martin I have added another tissue box design to my collection, one I could not have completed without the skill displayed by Martin and the artist who did the excellent detailed painting below the fret.

Suffering with arthritis myself at the moment but hope to get back into the workshop as soon as possible.

Attachments

• 13w.jpg
    13w.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 543
Really nice, a good alround effort. I have been waiting with baited breath to see the finished items and they are outstanding in every way. Well done to all concerned.

Latest posts

Back