Blades again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
I sought advice earlier this week about blades for my new scroll saw. Since then I have managed to cut out 4 animals in 3/4" soft pine. Today the first blade snapped, quickly followed by two more. All snapped at the bottom just at the point that the teeth start. I thought I had tensioned them sufficiently as I play guitar every day I know the sound of a guitar string. The wood also jumped around despite having the safety clamp allowing just enough room to turn the wood. Any advice wood be appreciated.
Maurice.

I'm not a expert. but is the wood bent/warped, that always makes the wood dance about.
Which blades you using? I use FD no5's for cutting inch pine. Make sure you allow the blade to do the cutting, do not push hard (I always do after thinking everythings going well and then snap the blade.)

Hi Maurice. Almost everyone that is new to scroll sawing will break blades on a regular basis. It's part of the learning curve. There are a few reasons why the blades are breaking. One is over tightening of the blade clamps, another is pushing the wood to hard. When you have the correct blade fitted and using the right speed with a good tension there is very little that can go wrong but blades still break from time to time, even with the old hands. 3/4 pine is quite soft and you should not have encountered any problems as it is such an easy wood to cut on the scroll saw. With regard to the wood bouncing it sounds as if you are turning corners to quickly and not holding the wood correctly. It requires very little pressure to hold it down with the fingers and most of us do not use the hold down arm. It's like all things Maurice, it takes time to master and only prolonged practice will overcome these problems. For cutting pine a number 5 blade should be more than adequate. Pine has a tendency to warp easily and unless it is perfectlt flat you will get bounce as Servo stated in his post. What helps a lot with warped wood is to cut it slower and to hold it down more firmly on the table.

just a thought have you got the blade right way round that could be why the timber is bouncing about and then you try and hold it the wood down harder and then the blade brakes

cowboy682":3orfzk5y said:
just a thought have you got the blade right way round that could be why the timber is bouncing about and then you try and hold it the wood down harder and then the blade brakes

This was my initial thought......because it has happened to me before. :oops: :lol:

cowboy682":1jyzcxh1 said:
+1

Back