what lathe to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisk4012

Reaction score
I recently sold a hobby lathe.it was an axeminster lathe.it was ok
But while turning small bowls it would slow down and tbe motor would get really hot.i sold it on and was thinking of buying a jet jwl 1220.could any1 tell me.would this happen on this lathe or even is it a good buy.thanks

I think it's a very good lathe for £430 it has some very good features, one problem though Ax are out of stock for the present so all depends how much of a hurry you are in,

How much room you have? How much is your budget? ETC ETC

John. B

I've used the variable speed version of that lathe in night class and find it's brilliant - never found it slowing down. I went looking to buy a 1220VS and they're no longer for sale, unfortunately although the 1220 is. The variable speed is very useful though, as far as my turning goes so in the end I've not bought a 1220. If variable speed isn't a deal breaker (and the price is right for you!) I'd say it's a very solid buy.

I took the plunge and bought the 1120.they didnt have the variable speed in stock for a few weeks so i just got the manual 1220.im only new to this so excuse my terms for stuff if there not correct.the price for the 1220 in ireland was 530 euro and i got it for 480 with the jacobs chuck so im happy out.im well impressed.should the motor get hot on lathes.im afraid im using the speeds wrong.i cant get my head around what speed i should be using each time

chrisk4012":3vgftob1 said:
I took the plunge and bought the 1120.they didnt have the variable speed in stock for a few weeks so i just got the manual 1220.im only new to this so excuse my terms for stuff if there not correct.the price for the 1220 in ireland was 530 euro and i got it for 480 with the jacobs chuck so im happy out.im well impressed.should the motor get hot on lathes.im afraid im using the speeds wrong.i cant get my head around what speed i should be using each time

Nice one. Hope you enjoy it, and have many safe and happy evenings of turning.

Motors do warm up, but shouldn't get "hot" unless you're overusing it. Speedwise, in general the bigger the timber the slower the speed. If you're spinning something unbalanced (like much green timber!) you might need to use a slower speed too.

If you haven't already, I recommend Keith Rowley's book for an introduction.

I was using the lathe on the slowest rpm and it was still getting hot.i have it mounted on a worktop.would that cause the motor to not get enough air in at it

Hi

How hot is hot? can you hold your hand on the motor? are the spindle bearings getting hot - do you have the correct tension on the drive belt?

Regards Mick

chrisk4012":3f44nwf1 said:
I was using the lathe on the slowest rpm and it was still getting hot.i have it mounted on a worktop.would that cause the motor to not get enough air in at it

Not getting enough air caused by the slow speed and relatively high load is the likely problem. Could you put a small fan blowing into the motor vents while you are at slow speed and high load? The slow speed will mean reduced airflow through the vents.

Brian

finneyb":8ua49gv4 said:
Not getting enough air caused by the slow speed and relatively high load is the likely problem. Could you put a small fan blowing into the motor vents while you are at slow speed and high load? The slow speed will mean reduced airflow through the vents.

Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP does not have a variable speed lathe, therefore the motor will be running at the same RPM whatever (pulley), speed is selected. Also at the slowest speed the motor has the highest mechanical advantage and will be least likely to overheat due to external loads from tooling.

My money is still on the motor being 'acceptably' hot or the belt being too tight.

Regards Mick

Hi,

I had a similar experience with my Tyme Avon so I contacted the manufacturer who assured me that lathe motors are designed to run hot ( well they would, wouldn't they ).

Anyway, 5 years on, the motor still runs hot but it's never been a problem. On the plus side it's nice to warm your hands on in a cold workshop.

Altheo

I have a small Jet lathe and the motor heats up pretty quickly, but doesn't seem to get hotter as it runs for several minutes - I think they just run at quite a high temperature.

Isnt that the truth altheo.ive made a good few bowls now but i cant seem to shake off a few lines i do be left each time.anybody any helpful tips please please please :) :)

Cheers lads.im gonna get a little fan.but im also gonna take a little tension of the belt.just enough so it doesnt slip of :)
It gets hot enough.u wouldnt keep ur hand on it for 10 seconds

Back