Shop made paring chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco Flier

Established Member
Reaction score
I'ts my first post here, I'm a hobbywoodworker, located in the Netherlands. The last few years I became more interested in tool making, and that's why I am here. :wink:

See also my website in my signature. It's written in Dutch, but I'm sure you wil understand enough of the stories with google translate. :wink:

A few weeks ago I finished two paring chisels. They are completely hand made by myself, except for the hardening.

Overall length is 320mm (12.5”) and the length of the steel part is 180mm (7”). The steel is O1, hand grind to the rigth shape, heat treated by a professional heat treatment company and sharpened at a 25 degree angle. The wood is Curacao de Negro, a lesser know wood from tropical South America.

It is extremely hard and very heavy wood. Even when completely dry this wood sinks in water. The wood darkens over time almost turning into black.

It was a very fun project and the chisels are a joy to use!

Attachments

• Paring beitels.jpg
    Paring beitels.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3,114
  • Paring beitels 2.jpg
    Paring beitels 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,114
I really love your chisels, also the ones I saw on your web page. You do have a great eye for shapes, I think you have managed to shape the blades nicely. In many occasions chisels made just from straight stock look like a piece of steel sheet stuck on a handle, but these are really beautful. Especially the larger one.

As Blue Spruce got mentioned, I think that your blades look much more elegant than the ones on their dovetail chisels.

Welcome to the forum!

Pekka

Hi, Wilco Flier

They look very nice.

Pete

Well not only do we have a great tool maker joining us but a real artist too!

As others have said...beautiful in every way...from the shape..the choice of wood...the clean lines and particular favourite of mine...the interface between the steel and the ferrule...that's pure class!

Bravo and welcome at the same time my friend!

=D> =D> =D>

Jim

Those look absoulutely superb chisels. The smooth line between the handle and ferrule is really attractive, almost like the clean lines of a socket chisel. I'm not surprised they're a joy to use, they look to be very comfortable in the hand. May they give you very many years of good service and quiet pleasure!

I love them, they look like beautiful tools,

I'm guessing you made the ferrules too? How did you do it?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Outstanding design and execution! If they work like they look, they will be absolute winners! Many congrats on these shop made chisels. I'm sure that there are guys out there, that would like to have a paring chisel from you ... me included!

Best
Klaus

Thank you for all the nice replies and compliments! In particular, the comparison with Blue Spruce is a huge compliment! :wink:
speeder1987":29i3fwpq said:
I love them, they look like beautiful tools,

I'm guessing you made the ferrules too? How did you do it?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I ordered this ferrules at a metalworker, in accordance with my specifications. I have no acces to metalwork equipement (yet!) :)

Klaus Kretschmar":29i3fwpq said:
Outstanding design and execution! If they work like they look, they will be absolute winners! Many congrats on these shop made chisels. I'm sure that there are guys out there, that would like to have a paring chisel from you ... me included!

Best
Klaus

Hello Klaus,

Thank you for your compliment! I'm indeed seriously thinking about setting up a smal toolmaking business. Al the positive feedback from various forums encourage me to move on with this plans. Maybe at the end of this year, or next year. Maybe! I'll keep you informed, maybe you will become my first customer :D .

Nice chisels and please post details of your drawknife it looks splendid!

Hello
A superb website.
I am sure an English version would pay dividends.
Wonderful paring chisels, I hope the elegant design would work with a 25mm wide blade.
Cheers John

Wilco Flier":qd2ggtrj said:
Hello Klaus,

Thank you for your compliment! I'm indeed seriously thinking about setting up a smal toolmaking business. Al the positive feedback from various forums encourage me to move on with this plans. Maybe at the end of this year, or next year. Maybe! I'll keep you informed, maybe you will become my first customer :D .

Yes, please keep me updated, Wilco. I'd really love to try such a chisel.

Cheers
Klaus

Hi Wilco!

your tools look magnificant in every way! I just ordered a paring chisel but I will have to repeat after your release!

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":1wfg4ri3 said:
Hi Wilco!

your tools look magnificant in every way! I just ordered a paring chisel but I will have to repeat after your release!

Cheers
Pedder

Thanks Pedder, I will keep you informed too!

The paring chisels of this post are part of a long term 'chisel making' project. In July last year I started this project to make 3 bench chisels, 3 firmer chisels, 2 parings and 4 butt chisels, a draw knife and five marking knives. Here is a piture of what I have already finished.

Attachments

• totaal.jpg
    totaal.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 782
Back