Which block plane????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to add a quality block plane to my collection. I'm looking at the veritas dx60, LN no. 60 1/2 or the stanley premium low angle block plane as the cheapest option . I haven't seen any user reviews of the stanley, but i like what I hear of the veritas. Would love to hear what other members use and their recommendations. Thanks

I have the Veritas low angle and its a very fine block but to be honest I prefer my Quangsheng low angle block - holds an exceptional edge and is much more balanced in the hand - also more balance in the pocket - half the price of a LN!

Oh and the QS from Workshop Heaven comes with Two blades!

Honestly? I have a lot of block planes, ancient and modern, but reach for a bronze LN #103 more often than not. However, as conventional wisdom is to go for something low angle and with an adjustable mouth, and you can't honestly go wrong with one of the #60 1/2-a-likes such as the LN or the Quangsheng. It's a model that's stood the test of time for good reason. I'm having a bit of trouble discovering if the new Stanley Sweetheart one is the same width as the old #60 1/2 - it looks wider, more like the Record/regular Veritas incarnations. Unless you have large mitts, you might not like the wider ones. The DX60 is a step up again; if you like your tools "just so" and don't mind paying for it, it's a beautifully made plane. If it's your birthday and you don't mind wearing dark glasses every time you get it out, the NX60 is all that plus a bucket of bragging rights. :wink:

As to A2, most anything will sharpen it - just some may take slightly longer than others.

Speaking from experience, you can't go wrong with any of the L-N's... exceptionally well made and awesome in use. For sharpening A2, I use waterstones and the LV Mk2 jig

For me, the small LN is too small, but it depends on your taste and the size of your hands. I had the LN 60 1/2 but never quite took to it, can't really put my finger on the reason. I now have the Veritas NX60 which, as Alf says is the blingy version of the DX60 and love it. It has the adjustable mouth which, unlike the LN, is fully enclosed so that accidentally whacking the nose of the lane into a bench dog (it can happen) cannot drive the adjustable section of the sole back into the blade, along with a number of other refinements. I am sure you would love the DX60; it is a much more developed design than the LN. I also a much fettled Stanley 60 1/2 with a laminated Japanese blade, which I also preferred to the LN equivalent.

Jim

I have to go 400 miles to find a quality tool outlet. The one time I did, I tried a Veritas LABP in my hand and found it felt a bit large (and I have big mitts). So I bought a DX60 instead, but find that very heavy for it's size.

I have no experience with any of the LN blocks.

I read that there was a fault with the initial Stanley SweetHart blocks (screw on the sliding sole section too short IIRC) and I have no idea whether that has been rectified.

Not much help am I :?: :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

Dodge":3c9z26tm said:
I have the Veritas low angle and its a very fine block but to be honest I prefer my Quangsheng low angle block - holds an exceptional edge and is much more balanced in the hand - also more balance in the pocket - half the price of a LN!

Oh and the QS from Workshop Heaven comes with Two blades!
+1. I have the LN variant with a QS 01 blade, simply as when I bought it at the last Ax show, QS weren't around - Rob

I have the iron version of the LN 103 and find its a lovely little tool.
I also have a DX60, which I cannot possibly justify owning on the basis of the use it gets but it fits in the palm of my fairly small hands really well and is a delight.
For rubbish wood which might have some rubbish left in it I have a basic ordinary block plane (can't remember if it's Stanley or Record) which has seen quite a lot of use, but the blade does tend to loosen after a while...

I also have a fondness for the little bronze LN #103, since it was the first new plane I had ever purchased. For years I thought it was a #102 since I had meant to purchase one at the time ... but did not read the label correctly (no reading glasses with me at the time!). I thought it planed end grain superbly ... and it was a shock when I eventually discovered it was a #103!

The larger, adjustable mouth block planes are, however, better. The #103 is great for breaking edges, but its coffin shape and narrower body mean that it cannot be used on a shooting board.

I did complete a comparison of the Veritas premium block planes, the LN 60 1/2, and the Veritas LA BP when I reviewed the NX and DX60 ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... Plane.html

VeritasPremiumBlockPlane_html_67db55fa.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

The #103 is great for breaking edges, but its coffin shape and narrower body mean that it cannot be used on a shooting board.
Tsk. This from the man who tut-tutted over folks elsewhere wanting to use a jointer on a shooting board. For shame levelling this failure at the poor #102/103, Derek. :lol:

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't advocate it as the choice for sole block plane. Arguably things have moved on since I bought mine, and now one might be better served with a squirrel-tail as a small block. Oh, it's so hard to choose, isn't it? I suspect we're not exactly helping the OP here. :lol:

Thanks for all the posts, though i'm not sure if you've confused me even more :) I'm torn between the Quangsheng low angle block and the dx or nx60. Will keep you posted on my final decision. Thanks again for all the info.

I can easily see why the QS is popular..apart from the price...if it has the T10 iron then it might be a cut above the A2 variants....I love the large T10 iron I have...it hones razor sharp and stays there for a long time.

I have a vintage 601/2 and it is superb...the only fault is the ease at which you can knock the adjuster and go from fine to wide mouth without knowing it.

If I don't need an adjustable mouth the two little chariot infills I have knock spots off the Stanley...in every way....

DSC_0535.JPG

....and little Isaac even has a sort of adjustable mouth...

iginfillgen1.jpg

But then I do have a bias for infills and most people would prefer to buy new technology...in which case I would get the QS it their irons are anything to go by.

Jim

I have a Lie Nielsen standard adjustable block, and a Quangsheng Low angle.
I find the Lie Nielsen much better in every respect and wish I'd spent the extra money and bought a low angle LN instead of the Chinese copy.

I get along fine with my Record 060.1/2 and 09.1/2 block planes and their Stanley counterparts as my general "go to" block planes, (From among a wide selection) as they can handle most applications and possess adjustable mouths, but find my choice coloured more by the work in hand than brand, iron orientation, or plane numbering system.

I've never felt any need to go the LN/LV route, as most planes intended for professional use tend to be more than capable of doing their job, but know LN and LV produce excellent equipment. :wink:

GazPal":wxl954aj said:
I get along fine with my Record 060.1/2 and 09.1/2 block planes and their Stanley counterparts as my general "go to" block planes, (From among a wide selection) as they can handle most applications and possess adjustable mouths, but find my choice coloured more by the work in hand than brand, iron orientation, or plane numbering system.

I've never felt any need to go the LN/LV route, as most planes intended for professional use tend to be more than capable of doing their job, but know LN and LV produce excellent equipment. :wink:

Well, that should warm the cockles of Jacob's heart! Not that you'll find cockles in Derbyshire! :mrgreen:

I have a stanley 60 1/2 with a Hock blade in it, and although it is not as nice in the hand as the LN 60 1/2 which I also have, functionally the two are more or less on a par. The LN has a greater feel of solidity about it and is on the whole nicer to use, but is 3 times the price of the Stanley so it should be!

I also have a Veritas LA Block, which I use as a small bevel up smoother with the rear tote and front knob fitted. I think as a block plane in the conventional sense its a bit too big for my delicate hands, but as a small toted smoother its very useful.

If money was no object then LN 60 1/2, but otherwise go for the Stanley which in my view is not that far behind.

Ed

I also have a fondness for the little bronze LN #103, since it was the first new plane I had ever purchased. For years I thought it was a #102 since I had meant to purchase one at the time ... but did not read the label correctly (no reading glasses with me at the time!). I thought it planed end grain superbly ... and it was a shock when I eventually discovered it was a #103!

The larger, adjustable mouth block planes are, however, better. The #103 is great for breaking edges, but its coffin shape and narrower body mean that it cannot be used on a shooting board.

I did complete a comparison of the Veritas premium block planes, the LN 60 1/2, and the Veritas LA BP when I reviewed the NX and DX60 ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

That pic is the clincher for me, the Veritas Premiums are quite a bit longer than the LN, and the "standard" Veritas is wider. I have quite large hands, but find that the LN fits perfectly, I've used the standard Veritas in the past and it felt cumbersome compared to the LN. IMHO a block plane should be comfortable to hold and feel nimble in your hands. So if you hadn't worked it out by now, I'd definitely go for the LN! (or the Quangsheng if money is a little tight)

Cheers
Aled

Regards from Perth

Derek

That pic is the clincher for me, the Veritas Premiums are quite a bit longer than the LN, and the "standard" Veritas is wider. I have quite large hands, but find that the LN fits perfectly, I've used the standard Veritas in the past and it felt cumbersome compared to the LN. IMHO a block plane should be comfortable to hold and feel nimble in your hands. So if you hadn't worked it out by now, I'd definitely go for the LN! (or the Quangsheng if money is a little tight)

Cheers
Aled

Latest posts

Back