New clock..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Well, after seeing the wrist watch clock, ordering the clock inserts from Axminster and finding the time to do it I have managed to make my first one. I didn't make the clock bit. Woods used. Beech for the body, cherry for the strap, mahogany for the buckle and ash for the spindles. I was seriously thinking of doing it for the wall hanging challenge, but as a fair bit isn't turned??? Go on now and tell me that I could have :( :(

Bigwatch1.jpg

The Small spindles are 1/8" diameter and aren't as difficult as they seem to turn. Before I sealed and laquered it I did a dry assembly

Bigwatch2.jpg

Now it has been sanding sealed which gives it a finish like silk and then melamine laquer and buffed and assembled. It can either stand on its own

Bigwatch3.jpg

or hang on the wall

Bigwatch4.jpg

It turned out even better than I had hoped.

Good ere init :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ta chappies! This one is for us, SWMBO too :mrgreen: , but I have another 3 clock inserts so probably some pressies too?

It isn't as difficult as it first seemed and as long as you take yer time in fitting the clock in its 'ole no problems. The spindles were turned with an adaption of this kind of pinch chuck.

Boxwoodpinchchucks.jpg

These were given to me by a very good friend who used to teach woodwork at Wycliffe School, Stroud. He died not long back bless him. They are well over 100 years old and lovely to use. I made one to hold 10 mm spindles for my tractors and turned the ash for the spindles down to 10 mm and put the ash in it to turn the watch spindles down. Just as a matter of interest I used my 1" oval skew to turn them with no problems at all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit : - I had forgotten to say that the clock insert is a 2 3/4" diameter jobbie. Someone asked if I could wear it :? :?

Chas! You have got to be joking mate! This retirement lark is so very tiring with no time for myself. What with taking the dog for a walk, doing what SWMBO dictates, getting draggedm kicking and screaming, shopping, cutting things down in the garden, trimming 75 metres of pyracantha hedge and so many other things I have no idea where the daze go?

Happy burfdey for August Allen :twisted:

Not too long Dave. I would think that all of the turning bit was about a couple of hours. The strap is pretty straight forward on the band saw and sanded with my Carol sanding drums in the pillar drill. The buckle is a good excersize in avoiding a manicure by band saw :shock: , but I have had mine for a long time now and I treat it with a LOT of respect.

The main body is turned from an oblong with the width the diameter of the watch body and the length of the lugs and after the turning is done it's cut to the final shape on the band saw. I have had a set of Permagrit files for years and they were really good for the final finishing between the lugs. I must admit that I was slightly nervous of drilling a 3 mm hole right through the end of the short strap for the buckle pin! But it went straight through the middle. The end is just 5 mm thick!

If I remember I will do a WIP when I do the next?

I'ts a real nice piece and worthy of winning a prize =D> .

But you should have wound the watch , :?

It hasent changed time since you posted it :lol: :lol:

Maybe its faulty ,send it back to Axi. :idea:

Specially for you Nick

Bigwatch5.jpg

As for you Trente-nuef of course the clock time hasn't moved, the battery is flat! Don't you know that it has to be flat in a 2 dimentional photo :twisted: :twisted: Cor! some folkes ain't arf dim :mrgreen:

I can't claim title to the design Jonny. It was posted shortly before Christmas if my terrible memory is correct and either the plans or the kit is available from the States. It's in this thread wall-hung-watch-t56453.html

John,
What a great piece but I think I might be in trouble with this one. I fatally showed the pictures to the girls at work and immediately got "oh that's lovely can you make me one" I might have to hide for a while as I don't think my skill level is up to something like that just yet............ that'll teach me to show them anything I can't make myself :oops:

Seriously tthough it never ceases to amaze me what people on here can produce. =D> =D>

Steve

Brilliant - just brilliant! Not just the execution, though your skills are to be admired, the idea itself is absolutely novel so far as I am aware.

Richard

Hesh":23srpxak said:
John,
What a great piece but I think I might be in trouble with this one. I fatally showed the pictures to the girls at work and immediately got "oh that's lovely can you make me one" I might have to hide for a while as I don't think my skill level is up to something like that just yet............ that'll teach me to show them anything I can't make myself :oops:

Seriously tthough it never ceases to amaze me what people on here can produce. =D> =D>

Steve

Dead easy Steve, just point them in my dorection!! I'm looking to update my Poller, well 2CV actually.

But you really have to have a go mate, it isn't as difficult as it first looks and well worth the effort. It exceeded what I had expected, just a little bit of thought about how to do the small bits. I always have trouble with me small bits, it's me age :oops: :oops:

John, I struggle with the big bit's so god know's what damage I could do with fiddly stuff :lol: ............but you never know I may have a go one day. I just like seeing what can be done out of the normal and adapting which i suppose is what it's all about.

Steve

I am not too sure what happened with this keyboard> That last one of mine reads reet funny with "dorection!! I'm looking to update my Poller"? That shouldread "direction! I'm looking to update my Roller (Rolls Royce) I hate dyslequesicque keybaordz :oops:

They all do that and gang up on poor likkle me :( :(

Have only just registered, am about to start a woodturning course and buy a lathe. I am amazed that this watch can be made on a lathe with the help of a bandsaw. Its really unique, and beautifully finished. I cant understand the different steps needed to shape the main watch body. I can only imagine that there must be some manual carving and shaping around the protruding strap lugs. As a not yet beginner, maybe I should not even think about how such a work of art is accomplished, (creep before you walk!) but its the likes of your watch that aspires me, and makes me think that the possibilities of a skilled woodturner are endless.

Latest posts

Back