Ben Huggins Submarine Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember a TV episode featuring Ben Huggins where he showed a door that he had fitted with a big round handle in the centre that operated like one on a submarine door? IIRC the whole mechanism was made of wood. I would like to find a picture or even a video of it online to show my grandson but my searches so far have drawn a blank.

Any ideas?

regards

Brian

Seem to remember one where they used some salvaged portholes and set them into doors.

Jason

I don't recall a porthole in the door but maybe mistaken on that. The thing that sticks in my mind is definitely the big round handle for locking the door. I think it may have been his own bedroom door that he was showing.

regards

Brian

I remember the front door he made with the porthole - presumably the one which Jason is referring to. It was fitted at his parents house IIRC.

Cheers

Karl

I remember seeing it as well. I don't think it was part of one of Ben's TV shows. I think he was a 'featured designer/inventor' on another programme.

I do remember the door you are talking about Brian. It was a door he made on his parents home. I am afraid I can't remember which program it was though. It was a pretty impressive door I do remember that much.

Hey Brian

This one is even better
door-1.jpg

Have a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8mW2WA_yA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydJOOv4ODYU

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showth ... ght=schaie

brianhabby":326jerqh said:
I don't recall a porthole in the door but maybe mistaken on that. The thing that sticks in my mind is definitely the big round handle for locking the door. I think it may have been his own bedroom door that he was showing.

regards

Brian

Ben huggins was restoring a barn/steading for his sister and turning it into a house. The porthole you talk of was built into a big mdf door, which was then painted white to look like a big walk in 'Smeg' fridge door, when in reality it was a 4"x4" cupboard with a light that came on when you opened the door, just like a fridge would

Do you remember his Jack Russell dog called "Arthur", who climbed up the ladders with him? Brilliant dog, the only trouble is he was a she :D

I do not remember a submarine door, but I do remember him making a huge lock made out of wood for his mum and dads front door.

Karl wrote,

="Karl"]I remember the front door he made with the porthole - presumably the one which Jason is referring to. It was fitted at his parents house

Karl it's the lock that he made for his parents house.

Cheers

Mike

I remember the door brian, think it was one of the takes on the program woodworks?The program where he makes the boat.

Hi Brian.

Yes, it definately was Woodworks. Anton was rushing around as usual but I cant remember what he was building but I know it wasn't the series on the boat.

This link shows when he is on next...if you record all 6 shows you'll definately (fingers crossed) have the one you want.

http://uk-tv-guide.com/show-times/77780/Wood+Works/DIY/

All the best,

Roy

You may be right Roy, that it was a feature in another programme. I'll record the programmes in the guide and hope I find what I'm looking for.

Paul,

That is one heck of a door, unfortunately not the one I am looking for but thanks for sharing anyway.

regards

Brian

:D I thought maybe we were in Irish/Kerry joke territory on this thread when I first saw it! Wooden submarines and all that. (I'm Irish by the way, and our jokes tend to be about Kerry men)

Thanks Roy (doorframe), you were right, Woodworks it was.

Thankfully it was featured in the first half of the first episode so I didn't have to suffer too much of Anton :)

door.jpg

handle-1.jpg

It was the front door of his parents house and he said he got the inspiration while watching the film 'Das Boot'.

regards

Brian

Hi Brian...

That was a result...
first half of the first episode so I didn't have to suffer too much of Anton

Those are some SERIOUS hinges... is it just me or is the middle hinge Pee'd as a F*rt?

Personally I don't mind Anton. I think he's a genuine nice guy. He hasn't got a workshop full of the best and most expensive power tools (although it is the size of a small aircraft hanger!). I think his only extravagance is an overhead saw and a (huge) bandsaw, and he only tackles very basic projects, while not pretending to be a master craftsman. The curly haired wally doing the tool demo's make me cringe though.

Rico has me in stitches (and he's from Basildon!!!), Norm is a GOD, David Free is a genious, and Paul Bradburn is a clown... with the magical hands of Lester :roll:

Tommy T*sspot... 2nd rate bricklayer, and Alan Herd.... jury's out as I've never seen him build anything.

It's well overdue for some new talent on Discovery / SHED, instead of cooking and fishing!

OK, I'll shut up now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy.

doorframe":1v9worai said:
Those are some SERIOUS hinges... is it just me or is the middle hinge Pee'd as a F*rt?

I think it might just be the angle of the photo. I captured the frames from the video and they were a bit distorted :roll:

Everyone seems to have their own opinion about the various woodwork presenters on the TV. Anton was great as a boatbuilder.

Whether Discovery will ever come up with anything new is anyones' guess. Trouble is, if they ever do, they'll probably concentrate on 'entertainment' before quality woodwork and presentation.

regards

Brian

Back