Disaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh No!

I have shredded my Lathe Drive Belt :( which Axminster are out of stock of til "early December"
What am I going to do? I don't think I can justify a new lathe on the grounds of a broken drive belt, or can I?
I might have to learn to speak with my wife again!

Colin

Colin , is it a standard V belt or a Polly V belt ?

Most belts are available from places like Fenner

http://www.fptgroup.com/fpt-brochures.a ... &docid=107

or any bearing suppliers like

City Belts & Bearings Ltd
61 Lever Street
Clerkenwell
Islington
London EC1V 3PY

Telephone:

0207 4901111

if it has a part number on it , or you can measure it , give them a ring , you may be in luck

:wink:

Colin,
Try Beeline Engineering Ltd. (you'll have to Google them) they will provide a belt from your description.

Wood spoiler, If we knew the Lathe Model it may be easier for someone to point you to a source.

Hi
The lathe is a Sealey SM1100 which is the same as a AWVSL 1000

my original post was a light hearted expression of woe. I was surprised (but of course shouldn't have been) by the capacity of the forum to help

Thanks all

Colin

Wood spoiler":1kot5e3z said:
What is the poly link belts and where do you them?
Thanks
Colin

I think that they are these things.

I came very close to buying some when my perform lathe munched it's belt but was put off by not really understanding the terminology. I just got a replacement solid belt from Axminster... :)

All the reviews I've seen of these are positive and I'll be getting some as standby spares when I get around to it.

Miles

Thanks Miles
I will call them in the morning and get hold of one to give it a try.
My lathe is given to a bit of rattling, it will be interesting to see if it makes an improvement as claimed.
Watch this space
Colin

If it's the one I think it is it's an 0-560 (approx 595mm outer diameter) X 8.5-9mm wide.

The only one I have is used so is difficult to measure accurately.

DSCN2235sm.JPG

DSCN2237Sm.JPG

By Jove Chas I think thats it!
I measured the remains of mine and its about 620mm, 8.5mm depth and 6mm on the back edge. Where the brading has broken I reckon there is about 20 mm of stretch.
With that code I should be able to track down one.
IMG_0322.jpg

Hi, Colin:

You might try visiting a local auto parts store. Most belts come in standard cross sections, and they will have a variety of lengths, so you should be able to match the belt exactly. You might also want to see what kind of adjustment your lathe has in case your new belt is a little too loose or too tight. And if you buy one that's not quite the right size, you'll be able to exchange it. I think it took four trips to the store to get the right belt size for my lathe--the variable speed pulleys made measurement very difficult.

Kirk

Thanks to Chas's detective work in identifying a part number I have sourced the required belt through Power Tool Spares - plentiful suply in stock for just £5.25 - safely ordered (together with a spare!) and being sent today :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their kind assistance

Colin

http://www.powertoolspares.com

The saga continues ....
The ordered belts arrived next day, but turned out they were 20 mm short and the actual belt should have been 062 (number on outside)
I managed to get the belt on by opening the variable calliper to max speed
Having switched it on it is barely turning. I was physically turning it to get it going but after 10 minutes still not much improved and I can't get the speed to change.
Anyone any ideas on what I need to do.
At this rate the suggestion is obviously to get a good lathe said half tongue in cheek but I am wondering ....

Just a thought,

You mention that the lathe is of the variable speed drive type - I'm assuming its an Axminster AWVSL900 or similar.

Well loads of manufacturers actually badge that same lathe, such as SIP - Have you thought about trying their spares dept for a replacement belt?
http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/spares.html

Rog

Wood spoiler":2w6yhey3 said:
Anyone any ideas on what I need to do.
At this rate the suggestion is obviously to get a good lathe said half tongue in cheek but I am wondering ....

That bites. Take it to a local auto parts store and tell them you need one about 20 mm longer. Then return the short one.
Here's mine:
lathecable1.jpg

I don't know if your lathe has a VS pulley like that, but if so they're hard to measure and hard to fit by random trial.

Kirk

If they are 20 mm short (in circumference) then that equates to 6.4 mm between centres (a little over 1/4") can you by any chance move the motor that much on its mounts.

The 0-560 (inner circumference strangely not mean) is the axminster part for 900 and perform series., can't see the 1000 being so much different.

Sorry I didn't make clear I did get the 20mm longer one after finding the first one was too short, but having fitted the correct one that is when I am still getting problems.
I have put in a couple of piccies to show what is happening. The motor is hard bolted to the frame with no potential for adjustment

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

Back