Poolewood 2840

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of the Poolewood 2840?

I know where there is one going and I was thinking about buying it.

Any information would be appreciated.

Yes , I had one , is yours the mechanical variable speed on electronic ?

They are heavy and quite solid , so you should be OK with it :wink:

I have both Types, the old mechanical drive version and the later variable (3ph invertor) machine.
The electronic is my user, it's still heavily built but more refined (castings are slimmer and tool rest banjos etc are slimmed down) than the Mechanical drive version.
I would not choose the mechanical one over the later 3ph motor versions given the choice as the latter gives you a reversing capability and quieter drive chain.

But if you've got the room and the strength to handle the mechanical version it's a big heavy duty beast if available for the right price, the tubular bed bars are not up to the same rigidity standard as the bulky design of the head stock assembly, like that you would get with a cast bed, in either machine, but I find them adequate for anything I throw at it.

My Mechanical drive version is awaiting room in the shed to set it up as a dedicated large diameter Bowl/Platter machine. The parts between the two are not generally interchangable due to differing bar spacings and centre height. The Mechanical drive version has a very large (physical size) 6pole slow speed motor. If two people can lift the lathe head and motor to waist height with comfort then they are both somewhat stronger than me.

Oh, and one major consideration, if the machine you are looking at is offered with matching Chucks and faceplates take them, the Poolwood spindles are not a current standard, in fact the chuck registers vary between the earlier and later models of the 2840 so unless you have the means of making adaptors or spacers you may have difficulty getting a chuck to fit. The threads are 1-1/2" X 6TPI but the headstock casting clearance and chuck register collar differ from the current norm for 1-1/2" spindles.

See this OLD Axminster chart (TO2P) But this is not the whole story because the two machines I have are different.

I had the mechanical version a few years ago it was really noisy, converted it to electronic vs & it was much better, regards cookie

Anyone who owns a Poolewood PM me your e-mail and I will send you an interesting PDF relating to the 28-40 lathe

I also have the original handbook if anyone would like a copy

cookie777":3rfk8kcf said:
I had the mechanical version a few years ago it was really noisy, converted it to electronic vs & it was much better, regards cookie

That sounds interesting, was it a full replacement 3 phase motor and Inverter etc?, was this a package from a supplier or something you put together yourself?

Poolewood owners might find these useful (I apologise for the clarity)

Mod Edit:
Sorry Katell, had to remove links to images of copyright material. Thanks for the thought. CHJ

Thanks for that, a very interesting write up .....I got to it before the mod!

although I am sure that a 20 year old article on an obsolete lathe nobody would be too interested in the copyright, but I guess the mod is just doing his job. ......although its an interesting legal aspect, if we only have a link to it here, surely it is the hosting site which is breaking copyright, and not the forum, the forum only points to a location?

All

Sorry about the copyright issue was unaware

Richard

I have two of these lathes both mechanical ones however one came without bedbars. having read entries in this post two things I find interesting. both of mine accept graduate faceplates and chucks which I find readily available.

In addition dropping a vernier gauge on the existing bedbars they came out at 48.3mm which coincidentally is exactly the same as scaffold bars

My ultimate intention is to utilise the spare bedbar end support from my spare lathe as a centre support for a extra long bed then use the spare banjo on the bed to use a twin shafted long toolrest bridged between both banjo's,, scaffold being used as the extra long bed (I'm also going to fill them with molten scrap lead to make them more rigid)

When I carry this out I will share it with you all

I also have the original manual (not very good quality) which includes full breakdown pictures. I am happy to share this if anyone is interested.

If those bed bars are anything like the length of the ones I have then it's certainly going to be some length at 3.5 mtrs if you use the whole length.

The spindle accommodating Graduate bits makes sense, and good to know.

kasandrich":3c0yjtdb said:
Thanks for that, a very interesting write up .....I got to it before the mod!

although I am sure that a 20 year old article on an obsolete lathe nobody would be too interested in the copyright, but I guess the mod is just doing his job. ......although its an interesting legal aspect, if we only have a link to it here, surely it is the hosting site which is breaking copyright, and not the forum, the forum only points to a location?

Hi Richard, we've had many instances in the past where somebody has scanned and posted an article which has been subject to copyright. In order to protect the site from the more litigious editors and publishers it was decided not to allow copyrighted material to be published here. Legally speaking it is acceptable to publish an abstract, say 5% of a text, in order to support a discussion or statement but it's difficult to define exactly what is allowed and what isn't and most of us can imagine the expense incurred even entering into a discussion concerning legalities with a publishing house on the subject.

With regard to pointing to a hosting site, there really isn't much difference. The intent to breach copyright still exists and therefore we can't allow it.

So, in conclusion, no copyrighted material can be posted. I think you'll find most forums operate a similar policy.

PS - you're in luck, thanks to Chas taking some time and gaining permission.

kasandrich":1r0c7r6v said:
....although I am sure that a 20 year old article on an obsolete lathe nobody would be too interested in the copyright, but I guess the mod is just doing his job. ......although its an interesting legal aspect, if we only have a link to it here, surely it is the hosting site which is breaking copyright, and not the forum, the forum only points to a location?

Edit: As Noel has explained above and I cross posted, Sorry,

The forum can not in any way endorse the posting of copyright material without the Prior permission of the copyright owner. Turning a blind Eye or encouraging others to do the same via links is also not condoned.

However in this instance I have obtained permission for the images to be reposted.

Mike Lawrence @ myhobbystore.com":1r0c7r6v said:
I think our view is that material of this age is of no longer of any commercial value to us, and so we would be happy for it to be shared.

Kind regards

Mike Lawrence

Poolewood1.jpg

Poolewood1[1].jpg

Poolewood2.jpg

Poolewood2[1].jpg

Poolewood3.jpg

Poolewood3[1].jpg

Poolewood4.jpg

Poolewood4[1].jpg

Poolewood5.jpg

Poolewood5[1].jpg

Poolewood6.jpg

Poolewood6[1].jpg

poolewood7.jpg

poolewood7[1].jpg

Poolewood8.jpg

Poolewood8[1].jpg

Edited to attach images due to lost PB links.

Attachments

• Poolewood1[1].jpg
    Poolewood1[1].jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 2,605
  • Poolewood2[1].jpg
    Poolewood2[1].jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2,604
  • Poolewood3[1].jpg
    Poolewood3[1].jpg
    208 KB · Views: 2,603
  • Poolewood4[1].jpg
    Poolewood4[1].jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2,601
  • Poolewood5[1].jpg
    Poolewood5[1].jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 2,603
  • Poolewood6[1].jpg
    Poolewood6[1].jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 2,606
  • poolewood7[1].jpg
    poolewood7[1].jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,604
  • Poolewood8[1].jpg
    Poolewood8[1].jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 2,603
katellwood":18u85xdd said:
Anyone who owns a Poolewood PM me your e-mail and I will send you an interesting PDF relating to the 28-40 lathe

I know this is a very long shot, but I have just accuired a 28/40 mechanical drive
would you still have a PDF of the manual and the updated modification to electronic pullleeeese! :D
I have just purchased this machine,and love it already,many thanks in advance, regards Baldric,
new member,

Hi

The pdf is actually published on the previous page,

re the manual will pdf it during the week and let you have a copy, sorry no details to turn into electronic apart from changing the motor to a 240/440 model and using an inverter to power

Thanks

Thanks for that , your a star! the pw 28/40 takes pride of place in my workshop,
it a beautiful piece of British engineering, now I must stop polishing it and start using it.
Bob

katellwood":2hsbajrw said:

Hi do you still have Handbook? Could I buy or get a coppy ? Regards John

Back