Cotswolds mini Bash - 14th July

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for hosting the turning bash Chas and thanks to di for the halftime feast as well as the endless cups of tea !
I am gad you all enjoyed the flowers

davejester wrote
I got straight home and tried one to show swmbo
dave did you take any photos of your flowers

100_1421.jpg

100_1420.jpg

100_1417.jpg

100_1418.jpg

100_1416.jpg

100_1415.jpg

Grahams tiny turnings

100_1411.jpg

100_1414.jpg

100_1413.jpg

100_1412.jpg

The sun shines on the righteous, and the essential part of the day dawns.

DSC02279.JPG

DSC02280.JPG

DSC02281.JPG

Pauls eggs and mushrooms join the display
DSC02282.JPG

And the forest starts to take root.
DSC02284.JPG

DSC02285.JPG

DSC02287.JPG

The odd miniature or two find their way into rapidly increasing display with the odd bit of conversation thrown in.
DSC02288.JPG

DSC02290.JPG

DSC02291.JPG

DSC02292.JPG

And some of us get to play.
DSC02293.JPG

Thanks to Graham and Chris who gave up their time to give the rest of us an insite into two very distinctive facets of turning, and having the patience to fend off the barrage of questions, and patiently guide us into the various techniques. I for one had a very enjoyable day, the fact that my legs are reminding me this morning that I didn't sit down much will be soon forgotten but the pleasure of the company will remain for some time.

It looks as if everyone had a good time - well done chaps! I'm just sorry I couldn't make it. In fact, my favourite band was making a rare appearance locally on Saturday evening and I couldn't even get to see them :( .

I'm just finishing some inlay work which I suspect turners might be able to adapt for use in their work. Since I wasn't able to get down on Saturday to discuss it personally, would anyone object if I was to post some step-by-step photographs here showing the technique?

How was the pen turning demo? I'd been looking forward to that in particular.

Gill

Marvellous weekend!!!!
Warmest thanks to our hosts Chas and Di... thanks Di, I didn't want to go on a diet anyway :lol: (wassername says 'you can go next weekend if you like' I get the feeling she's trying to tell me something :shock: )

Thanks to everyone for making Saturday such a pleasurable experience 8) but for the fact that most had to drive some distance home I reckon that Di would have been serving supper as well :!:

Special thanks to Paul for the key rings and eggs and to Chris for the Flower power demo :wink: (Not forgetting Chris' little helper without whom he'd have had to carry all his stuff himself :lol: ...some blokes get all the luck :wink: )

May I please take a copy of the pics for me archives? Maybe Pete can brush in me missing teeth :lol: (Thanks a bunch to the happy snappers :p )

Have you set a date for next year Chas :lol:

Graham wrote

(Not forgetting Chris' little helper without whom he'd have had to carry all his stuff himself ...some blokes get all the luck )

not luck just good training :lol: :lol: :lol:

RATWOOD":2ym9hdqt said:
not luck just good training :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's Sues' personal e-mail address Chris, I'd just like to confirm that remark :twisted:

What a fantastic weekend :D
Start off by thanking Chas and Di for hosting the bash,and Graham for taking me along :D Beautiful surroundings :D
Di your food would put old Ramsay to the test,fantastic buffet,meals,and desserts :D
Thanks Chas for showing me how to do those lids,will be attempting one shortly :D
Graham those miniatures were just brilliant,couldn't believe what i was trying to see :shock:
Chris thanks for trying to show me how to do those wonderful flowers.
My daughters found a use for them,even want to have a go at doing some themselves :shock: :shock:

Paul.I took a couple of your mushrooms,thank you.Again something to try :D
And finally i think :roll: Thank you to everyone else for all the advice,and making the nice warm sunny day so pleasurable.
Pete i will try to get upto full speed ahead :wink:
Once again.Thank you all.
Paul.J.

I would just like to add my thanks to Chas and Di for hosting the bash. Good food, good company, what more could anybody want. I wish I could have stopped later but I dropped my wife and daughter off in Stroud and had to go and pick them up.

I could not believe the turnings Graham was doing. I have never seen such workmanship! And eggs, and keyrings, and flowers, and mushrooms, not to mention Chas's pots and bowls. All provide inspiration for a learner like me.

Thanks again for an excellent day.

Bob

Thanks for the kind comments folks... :oops:

....anyone know how to turn teeth from alternative ivory :lol:

Di says thanks to everyone for the thanks, happy to find something to do for the day :whistle: and the overnight guests good behavior appreciated.
I think something was said about the fact that there seemed to be more d***d wood around the place than before we started, but I may have been mistaken and it was only background noise, much appreciated chaps, generosity way beyond the call as far as I'm concerned.

Pictures are yours Graham to do as you wish as far as I'm concerned, so busy gossiping I forgot to take many.
As far as the next do, boss says it ain't going to be next week for some reason, but thinks that the minimeets are a good idea to keep the 'boys' out of mischief for a day at least.

Personally I'm a bit worried about the female note swapping and bonding behind the scenes myself at these events, could certainly do with any scroller and pyrographer other halves input to the event another time to try and even the partisanship up a bit. :lol:

Thanks for the pix Chas...

I reckon cctv in the kitchen... or an amplifyer in the vent to the garage...

just a thought, pehaps Di was getting wood fetching and carrying tips :lol: :lol:

Chas and Chris - thanks for the excellent photo's,glad it all went well.
Just need to check out the Rogues gallery to see if I can put names to all the faces :lol:

Andrew

PowerTool":19536bkr said:
Just need to check out the Rogues gallery to see if I can put names to all the faces :lol: Andrew

While your at it Andrew shout up if you have knowledge of a wrong name association, I have a lousy memory for putting names to faces and some are retrieved from group 'photos, I just hope someone occasionally looks hard enough to check.

oldsoke":b3cwuvzk said:
just a thought, pehaps Di was getting wood fetching and carrying tips :lol: :lol:

You ***!!!2*!^&*!>>>>> Be Afraid.

Di. :lol:

0000oooooooooooooooooooooooo......

(I'm off to bed now... with a silly grin on me face..... it'll still be there in the morning... nightmares not withstanding :lol: )

Sorry I have taken so long to post but I got home to a power cut (joys of living in the sticks :( )

I both thoroughly enjoyed myself and learnt a heck of a lot. Sorry guys if I didn't stop talking but there was so much going on between the lathes that I had to ask. I have come home full of ideas and quite a bit of wood, most of it better than I am used to working with. Some of it is small stuff as I want to try and have a go at the miniatures though I doubt I'll be able to get down to Graham's level (in size) One or two of the things that you turned were so small that they had to go straight into a box or they would have got lost in the shavings. Thanks for the blank Graham. I will do my best to do it justice and I'll have a go at your teeth for you in a bit.

Really was a good day out and stopping overnight meant I got the bonus of the evening meal. Well worth the visit on it's own.

If another one happens please let me know

Pete

Back