Notes on Ternex (Welwyn)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you PLEASE HELP with information about Ternex (Welwyn)?

(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)

(To ADD a new yard/s please post here after checking that it is not already in the table.)

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":21gp6izb said:
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you PLEASE HELP with information about Ternex @ Welwyn?

(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)

(To ADD a new yard/s please post here after checking that it is not already in the table.)

Are they hobby friendly?

Yes but if you are only buying a small amount it is best to call in advance and arrange a quiet time to visit.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

You can self select.

Will they deliver?

Not themselves but they do use a local courier. I found the prices for this to be quite expensive so just jam the wood in my car one way or another!

Do they have online ordering?

No.

Are prices displayed at the yard?

No - you select your stock and they price it up for you afterwards.

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

They sell temperate hardwoods - ABW and Euro Oak. Occasional bit of English Oak

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Yes but only Sapele from what I've seen.

Do they sell softwoods?

Yes.

Do they sell manufactured boards?

They don't stock them but can order them in for you.

Do they sell turning blanks?

No.

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Medium yard I'd say. Always a few people working.

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Yes.

Do you have any comments?

They are open on Saturdays to midday. Very friendly bunch. Only real problem is that they only hold a very limited range of stock; essentially Oak, a little bit of ABW and Sapele. You might find the odd bit of Beech every now and then but it's by no means a treasure trove of exotic woods. Still; a nice bunch of people who are happy to help and seem to be reasonably priced (for the area).

Thanks for your help,
Neil

I would confirm and add to Memzey's comment. They are very friendly bunch. Very helpful to budding hobbyist ( Just needed a piece of walnut for tiny box).

I recently bought some planed sleepers and dowels from Ternex. I can confirm they are quite friendly are the sleepers were quite good quality (much better than what I got from uktimber) and 10-25cm longer than the ordered size.

I was told they have a lead time of 1-2 weeks for 20 sleepers, but they were ready after a few days. Much better than other places even with the original lead time.

Their website is a bit off (shows blank for me), but they said they are be able to deliver pretty much anything as long as they get a cut list. Price wise they were very competitive with my old supplier.

Back