If money was no object

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":3ga63ggm said:
A real baller would have the center cut out and fill it with electric routers. :D

After having them plated in gold and the bits chromed of course ;)

If money were no object and I had no planes and chisels I would probably buy Clifton planes and Ashley Isles chisels. I have one Ashley Isles gouge and it's a thing of beauty, I've never even seen a Clifton plane in the real so my decision would be more emotional than logical but I doubt there is much between Clifton, LV and LN. However I am perfectly happy with the Records and Stanley's bench planes that I have, and the QS block plane (bought new and IMO hard to beat) and the mix of Narex, Liddle and old English chisels that I have. If I won the lottery today (unlikely as I don't enter) then replacing my hand tools would be low on my list of priorities.
As for the super priced Bridge City or Hotley, I wouldn't want them even if I could afford them. I'm too liable to drop stuff and I work in a damp rust inducing environment (although if money were no object would I work in the dry dock?), I don't think I could handle the responsibility of tools that cost that much.

Paddy Roxburgh":37ma56ty said:
If money were no object I would learn about the subjunctive, but then again perhaps all that money would cure me of my pedantry.

I just know that you checked every single letter of this post three times over before pressing "submit". :)

Clifton planes are very nice, yes. But if money was no object and I was looking for new tools from present day makers I would add some planes from the very talented Bill Carter alongside some from rising star Ollie Parks.
For saws, I'd go to Shane Skelton and be prepared to wait.

MikeG.":24yb8g7s said:
Paddy Roxburgh":24yb8g7s said:
If money were no object I would learn about the subjunctive, but then again perhaps all that money would cure me of my pedantry.

I just know that you checked every single letter of this post three times over before pressing "submit". :)

And he still got it wrong, as there should be a comma after the word "object"

:twisted:

edited for my own syntax error :oops:

Interesting example Andy however I believe that book was translated from a book in Latin, which was translated from a book in Greek which was translated from fragments in Aramaic. I’m not certain but I think it’s probably a safe bet to say that between those three languages, regular grammar, as the anglosphere would identify it, went out the window. Anyway it’s the bible, so it gets a pass. After all, who is going to give the author a detention?

The King James was translated mainly from Greek...and there’s a sense in which it set standards for “regular grammar” in the Anglosphere (which was, at the time, pretty much confined to England!) rather than forming an exception.
I’m great fun at parties.

memzey":2qovfogo said:
Interesting example Andy however I believe that book was translated from a book in Latin, which was translated from a book in Greek which was translated from fragments in Aramaic. I’m not certain but I think it’s probably a safe bet to say that between those three languages, regular grammar, as the anglosphere would identify it, went out the window. Anyway it’s the bible, so it gets a pass. After all, who is going to give the author a detention?
Who wrote the Bible though? I mean the original Bible. Lots of fellas. And there's no original Bible just as there's no Author. And it's the Word of God translated by man, or men, (and women...no Reg, not in this case, there were no women) and I'm ever so confused how we have consistently transmuted the writings of dead men into the Word of God for quite a few years now. We're lucky it didn't end in some inestimable amount of misery and suffering over many years eh? God Forbid.

I was also taught not to start a sentence with an and.
And I've done my best, to overpunctuate, ever since, because, let's face it, the written word, should be, bound fast, by the rules of, grammar and not about communication, of ideas, between minds.
There's grace and clarity in writing but only when applied with a light touch and conversely when read as such.

I have some nice tools. Nothing too fancy. Mostly stuff I bought at the start. Some Ashley Iles chisels, a QS plane or 2. Nice gear but no substitute for experience and knowledge.
If you want tool inspiration look at the fellas who built cathedrals. Not being a luddite, and it's an oversimplification of course but it's valid. You can buy a standard but you cant buy a skill set. You have to earn that.

Bm101":mn8fccoe said:
memzey":mn8fccoe said:
Who wrote the Bible though? I mean the original Bible. Lots of fellas. And there's no original Bible just as there's no Author. And it's the Word of God translated by man, or men, (and women...no Reg, not in this case, there were no women) and I'm ever so confused how we have consistently transmuted the writings of dead men into the Word of God for quite a few years now. We're lucky it didn't end in some inestimable amount of misery and suffering over many years eh? God Forbid.

And I've done my best, to overpunctuate, ever since, because, let's face it, the written word, should be, bound fast, by the rules of, grammar and not about communication, of ideas, between minds.
There's grace and clarity in writing but only when applied with a light touch and conversely when read as such.

I have some nice tools. Nothing too fancy. Mostly stuff I bought at the start. Some Ashley Iles chisels, a QS plane or 2. Nice gear but no substitute for experience and knowledge.
If you want tool inspiration look at the fellas who built cathedrals. Not being a luddite, and it's an oversimplification of course but it's valid. You can buy a standard but you cant buy a skill set. You have to earn that.

Impressed by the sentences beginning with "and" - I see what you did there! A slight point of pedantry though - as far as I know no one claims the bible is the word of God, ie as dictated by the Big Man, language aside, it's one way of distinguishing it from the Koran.

Grace & clarity - a noble ideal, even here.

Nice point about skill - of course there are some (ie me) who seem to take a little longer acquiring it!
By the way BM, every time I see your avatar (at least I think that's what it's called, but you know, the falling boy) it makes me smile.

Tara a bit,

Carl

If I had unlimited money I would have a couple of apprentice types to do all the donkey work such as sweeping, crawling under the bench for lost pencils and keeping the tea coming. ;)

Bm101":2ur9nd5a said:

And we were taught in the late '60s mainly by (not very young) Oxbridge graduates that there was no valid reason why we couldn't start a sentence with a conjunction. By the bye.
My wife was doing some very important typing and my daughter was doing some degree course work and they both asked me to proofread as I have a knack of seeing mistakes quickly. I advised them both to do what I tend to when writing anything lengthy - other than full stops, put the punctuation in when you've finished. You will put in far less than you otherwise would have to take out.

Latest posts

Back