Planer Thicknesser blades - unusual set-up situation... ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sgian, just to clarify, there is no pressure bar. there are only an in and an out-feed roller, and the cutter head. both rollers are sprung of course, but they do seem to be about 0.8mm below the blade circle ark, by the by.
otherwise, since everything apart from the head is adjustable, the answer to my original query would be to use the magnetic type setting jigs to set projection from the cutter head. this is now done, with the projection the same as it was before (correct or otherwise, but in the ball park) and with blade nice and square, having got the outfeed table properly square off the head, and then the blades square from the outfeed table, as i described in a previous post. to be clear, i didn't use the outfeed to set projection, this i did off the thicknesser bed from the setting of the previous blades, i then used the outfeed to square them up, tho they were pretty much spot on from the thicknesse bed, thankfully.
so those magnetic guides yes, but the rutlands type model which are pretty ubiquitous, are apparently for heads of 75mm dia and above, mine is a 60mm.
for the meantime i'm happy enough with the projection, and do not need the stick method to set outfeed, thanks
lastly blade width as you call it, tho height migh tbe more accurate, is irrelevant in this situation because they sit on little springs, rahter than a win-up/dwon mecanism.

katellwood,
in those videos the lever to engage clutch is sprung and activates it with a down-up action. i was under the impression mine is either up for top planing, or down for feed drive. now i'm curious. have to get that saw table off os i cna hve a proper look!

I can't remember how I got the sawtable off as it's been a long time since I sold the machine

My clutch lever was down for feed and up for clutch there was no mechanism for holding it in the clutch position
Hope this helps

right, so spent most of the day on this again. managed to get the table off evetually of course. un-intiutive as (unlike other, later?, model i have seen) the motor and it's assembly all hang off it, so means dismounting all of this, and therefore not possible to eg run the planer with all the mechanism exposed to have a look at what's going on.

but having got in about the cogs and wheels, i now suspect slipping belt from main head drive to rollers drive. it doesn't look damaged or tired but can be persuaded to slip easily enough, and there's no tension adjust. but all is now cleaner and better greased, so that's a start.
between that and some machine wax, i expect problem to be solved. if not i'll replace that wee belt.

thanks all for your help. i'll try to report back once it's going.

another bonus is i seem to be straightening the mounting bolt of the arbor of the table saw while it's all dismantled.
happy days : )

jimmer":21p29lv9 said:
Sgian, just to clarify, there is no pressure bar. there are only an in and an out-feed roller, and the cutter head. both rollers are sprung of course, but they do seem to be about 0.8mm below the blade circle ark, by the by.
I must have mis-read one of your posts somewhere down the line. I'd assumed there was a pressure bar, and your machine doesn't have one, or so it seems. It looks like you've managed to puzzle out the required settings and hopefully that fixes the problems you had. Good luck with all the other work you've found to do on the machine. Slainte.

Cheers sgian, i'm still stuggling with the blade arbour, but the rest should be good. bit surprised i left it all so long really.
i like to get things apart and sort them. anyway, you helped me understand a good bit about the machine and planers in general, so thanks for your help

I also have a Lurem C 210B, I have also struggled to find the optimum height for the planner blades, the clamps that hold the blades in position have seemingly been exercised to destruction by others trying to do the same, as some of the locking bolts had stripped, I did replace them, however some of the threads in the locking bar were too far gone, so I bored out and tapped new bolt holes with reasonable success.. Having read most of the post relating to this machine, I would confirm the problem with the feed rollers, the first one has a light grab whilst the second one after the cutter head seems to exert far more pressure, almost locking the timber at times, I have just come in from my cold garage and found this post in desperately looking for suggestions, as having replaced the cutter blades a few weeks ago and feeling happy with the results after hours of setting up, today I found the thicknesser was not performing well and having had another go its not bad but neither good, so will check out settings re the advice that has been provided.. The surface planner seems to have little adjustment other than two adjustment bolts opposite the hinge, and the slide mechanism however adjusted will not allow both tables to lie flat to each other.. One other issue I have found is the wood chip cowling that covers the blades when the thicknesser is in use takes an awful lot of bashing, along with numerous blade cut marks in the lower deflector plate, where others have not got the blade setting right, also, as invariable the thicknesser table has not been lowered enough when the surface plates are folded back into place an it gets bent if its at a thinner setting, worth remembering..

Back