Glazing, acceptable tolerances?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I am "re-purposing" a walnut four panel door. The idea is to turn it into a table top with four glass panels.

Now, I measured and ordered 4 panels of 10mm toughened glass and they have all arrived 1-1.5mm longer than I specified.

Should I consider this acceptable and buy a 1mm rebate cutter?

Why not just contact the supplier and tell them the glass isn't the size you ordered?

as I understand up to +/- 2mm is glass industry norm for being accepted for construction

NazNomad":38o6v2a1 said:
Why not just contact the supplier and tell them the glass isn't the size you ordered?
But it is, to a 2mm tolerance. Hence the question.

See also the recent thread discussing errors and tolerances w.r.t. squares.

BugBear

If they quoted +/- 2mm and they came in at 1.5mm then they met the specification you agreed in the contract established when you ordered from them.

you would normally order glazing with a 3mm smaller than the frame you are trying to place it in.

Brandlin":nb0j61q4 said:
If they quoted +/- 2mm and they came in at 1.5mm then they met the specification you agreed in the contract established when you ordered from them.

you would normally order glazing with a 3mm smaller than the frame you are trying to place it in.

Well I never knew that.

Gave you a thanks/thumbs up for that. We learn something new everyday.

Brandlin":u1kvfqhb said:

Interestingly, there are no terms & conditions that I can find on their website and by the looks of what they do and what they charge, it's no Mickey Mouse organisation.

But, one of the reasons that I ask is that in the mists of time I have heard this +/- 2mm tolerance. So if I have an inset length of 1000mm, what should I order? That should be 997mm, but with a potential to actually receive 995mm.

That's a potential of 5mm difference! One man's tolerance is another man's gap!

NazNomad":2uei9swg said:

I have done that and am awaiting a reply.

But it's quite cathartic coming here \:D/

They've just got back. Yep, industry standard +/- 2mm tolerance blah, blah, blah.

It's a pity I cannot pay their invoice with a +/- £2.00 tolerance.

Personally I allow 3/4mm on single and 5/6mm on double glazing. The variable depends on how bang-on-square my door/window is. If the wood moves with tight glass you know what’ll happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always give the glaziers rebate sizes then if the glass doesn't fit it is their fault.As long as you have measured correctly.

kevinlightfoot":2zrueg07 said:
I always give the glaziers rebate sizes then if the glass doesn't fit it is their fault.As long as you have measured correctly.

The glazers I used a few years ago would regularly make them to the rebate size, I now give ‘make’ sizes for everything!

Back