Low back welsh chair build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ro":1ny3bw88 said:
Thanks both! I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
El Barto":1ny3bw88 said:
The wax concoction turned out great. Did you test it on any offcuts before you applied it or did you just go for it? Pre-application it looks like mushy peas!
Yeah, I tried it out on an offcut of sycamore before I slathered it over the chair as I was slightly worried I'd turn the chair green :mrgreen:

El Barto":1ny3bw88 said:
Another question: how was it turning the spindles on the lathe? Did you get much vibration or was it ok? You may have mentioned that already when you posted that section...
The spindles turned really between centers on the lathe, no vibration or chatter at all.
However, they are only about 13 inches long. When I've done longer spindles I have had terrible chatter. On longer spindles I normally rough the whole thing to a cylinder and turn about 8 inches of each end and then finish the rest off on the shaving horse.

Thanks for the notes. I'd be interested to compare turning with and without Peter Galbert's "Steady Rest".

I've been watching this with interest. The end result looks brilliant, and even more so given the techniques you've been using. Hope you're really proud - you should be!

Thanks for giving such a detailed run through - I look forward to your next project!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back