Joining the woodturning fraternity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
Having never owned or even used a lathe before, some upcoming projects would allow me the opportunity to get one, which will be in the new year, i have researched and watched some youtube videos and bookmarked some of them, i have decided to get the Charnwood w824, as it fits my needs, it is an exact clone of the Axi AH-1218 vs except that the w824 has a digital rpm readout and they are both around the same price, i have also seen the xact range of scroll chuck kits from Rutlands which seem pretty good value which i would probably get too, the only thing i can't really decide on are the chisels, do i get the normal gouges or get the carbide tipped ones which seem to be quite popular, unfortunately space wont allow for a larger permanent setup, as there is some cracking bits of kit about, but this should be more than adequate for the projects i have, cheers,

As far as chisels are concernedI would go for HSS .I have been turning for 35 years and never had the need for all these fancy chisels,the tools won't make you a better turner,you need to practise to attain the necessary skills and not go down the gadget route,Henry Taylor or Robert Sorby chisels and gouges are a safe bet and you don't need too many to get you started it's difficult to advise which ones without knowing what you are going too make.

initially it will be some post caps and tenons for some garden planters i will be making in the new year for the garden, i priced up some caps like the balls on top of newel posts but a bit smaller, these averaged in price from a couple of quid upwards each, so logic kicked in and thought that for what it would cost for the caps would be about the same to buy a lathe, and it does just without the extra chucks and gouges, but i showed swmbo the dearer post caps so that tools could be budgeted in, so with this in mind i would think that a 1" roughing gouge, 3/8" spindle gouge, 3/4"skew and a 1/8" parting gouge should do for the moment and get some practice in,

Crown, Hamlet, Record Power and Axminster are cheaper and are fine. Ashley Iles are possible the best - they tend to be expensive but can usually be bought unhandled which brings the cost down six or seven quid. Don't turn down carbon steel stuff if it comews your way cheaply enough - it was good enough for centuries, it just needs sharpening a bit more regularly.

i dont have 35 years of turning experience. As a relative newcomer, i would go with a single, shop made carbide tool. It will save all of the sharpening costs. There are plenty of guides online, but you will need a cutter (£6 or £7), a piece of mild steel bar and a bit of wood to make a handle from.

It wont make you a better turner, but it will enable you to get up to speed quickly with the projects that you have in mind. There is no concerns about tool presentation. Far from being "fancy" chisels, I would say that they are more basic- you could use one shaped cutter for most tasks. You will also need a parting tool, unless you saw off the finished item.

The axminster site gives reviews on this late - several people have had to send theirs back for repair, sometimes more than once. Might be worth reading.

K

phil.p":3bafpual said:
Crown, Hamlet, Record Power and Axminster are cheaper and are fine. Ashley Iles are possible the best - they tend to be expensive but can usually be bought unhandled which brings the cost down six or seven quid. Don't turn down carbon steel stuff if it comews your way cheaply enough - it was good enough for centuries, it just needs sharpening a bit more regularly.
I'd go along with the comments on carbon steel. If I have a fiddly or delicate piece I go back to my Marples carbon steel. It seems to aid in concentration. :wink:

I think your chisel and gouge choices are on the right lines,however if it were me I would choose an inch oval skew they aren't a little more forgiving in the hands of someone learning,don't underestimate the learning curve you will experience in spindle turning,much more to learn than faceplate work,try to practice on some 3 inch redywood blanks about 12 inches long .Get to know how all your tools work.Just an afterthought on your tool list a3/8 beading and parting tool is also very useful for sizing diameter such as tenons.Of course you can spend a fortune but money won't buy you the skill you need to aquifer with practise.A course would also be an option but if your tutor is up to scratch he or she will only give you the same advice,practise,practise,practise.Believe me there are no short cuts

Thanks everyone, looking forward to experimenting , i have also been keeping a lookout for any tree felling in the area for some supplies, i have plenty of 8 x 3 c24 that i can practice with, turning spindles and bowls and anything and everything in between, still finding youtube vids to watch for some inspiration and learning, i saw one the other day and it was painfull to watch, it took this poor bloke an hour in real time to turn a small box, but i had to watch it till the end just so i could applaud him for finishing it, hopefully not too long to wait till i start turning some shavings, cheers,

I only started turning in January of this year, i took a one day course that really got me to the second step shall we say. I watched lots n lots of youtube videos especially ones about chisels, this also helped. I have to say i still find skews touchy, i have has a few catches with them and they put the family jewels disappear shall we say.

I saw a demo and the guy doing it said practice practice practice practice, make lots of sawdust. I used pallet wood, the thick pieces.

As I said practise,but try to make shavings not sawdust.If you're making sawdust you are doing something wrong,shavings mean you are cutting the wood not scraping it.Unless of course you are sanding it into shape but I wouldn't call that woodturning.

Fate has intervened once again, ebay threw up a new listing this afternoon for a Record power dml24x MK2 for £125.00 on a BIN, and in Donny just a few miles away, it was an offer too good to pass up, for an oldish machine it's had very little use, need to get some gouges and a chuck and away we go, cheers,
P1020290.JPG

P1020291.JPG

Attachments

• P1020290.JPG
    P1020290.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 787
  • P1020291.JPG
    P1020291.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 787

Latest posts

Back